Author Topic: Urgently need help: Air levelers depleting  (Read 16283 times)

DeeNoyer

Re: Urgently need help: Air levelers depleting
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »
Thank God, problem found!  Per the truck mechanic,  he said that the prior owner had an air leveler rod replaced and whoever put it on, didn't get it on there good and the vibration over time caused it to finally pop off (speculating it was replaced because it was a different color than the rest)  I hope this is a cheap fix, no parts, LOL.  I guess the mechanic got the broken side mirror glass fixed too from someone hitting it yesterday.     I'll post again if there is a more official name for the part that popped off, it will probably be on the invoice.  Hope this helps someone else in the future too.

Looks like the trip is back on and I gotta ton yet to do before we leave tomorrow.  Yellowstone here we come!

Thanks again fellow Beaver owners above who chipped in to help :)

Dee
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 08:40:10 PM »
Dee,

Thanks for letting us know. This is a new on me given you seemed to lose air in the suspension when you went into drive and not in neutral. Our coach raises and the over the road suspension fills while in neutral so this is still a bit of a puzzle.

At any rate, glad it is getting fixed. This repair should be easy and inexpensive compared to the other air suspension problem possibilities. Have fun, happy you can head out on your trip.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
Glad it's fixed, Dee.  Figured it was somehow related to the ride height control valve rod.  I'm hardly an expert on the topic and don't know how the rod was misinstalled, but have to assume the rod wasn't in place to move the valve when in travel mode, so the valve released air.  Here's a discussion of the system (albeit related to a different motorhome brand, but still demonstrative) that you can copy for Dave and future reference:  http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/ride-height-adjustment.html

The rubber boot at the end of the control rod is a common failure point.

-Joel

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:16:43 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
Ed & Joel, glad to see problem is repaired. Guess we all had a idea on the problem but it nice to review root cause of problem. Basic same area ride right leveling valve,only different in valve
The one that was bad for me had a exhaust port open to outside with plastic hose. The setup
was for a different operation to add air to one side and exhaust air to other side at same time.
to keep motorhome level in cross wind. Air valve in picture looks close to what I worked on last
spring in AZ. It Is real nice when everyone will jump in and try to get a person in need up and
or give him somewhat a idea of what is going on.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 03:17:01 AM »
In my previous diagram, that "lower rubber isolator" on the "linkage" (aka. rod) is the usual culprit from what I've seen and read.  It's held on by a standard hose clamp, and the rubber flexes more than a usual rubber radiator/heater hose does, so my guess is that it deteriorates with time, like most rubber things, and cracks and tears around the clamp edge.  In Dave and Dee's case it sounds like the "isolator" (what I'd call a boot) just wasn't fastened on well in the first place, and the rod may have slipped out.  The repair tech therefore didn't need to get a new boot (yet  ;)  ).

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat