Author Topic: Erratic Turn signals  (Read 5805 times)

paulmatasso

Erratic Turn signals
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
The turn signals on my 06 Patriot Thunder blink erratically. They always work but after turning them on usually after a few blinks, they start to blink fast, then slow no real pattern that I can come up with. Not the end of the world but curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Erratic Turn signals
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
Perhaps the bulbs need to be changed. Not sure if they include the flashers or not, most likely they do. Usually rapid turn signals is an indication of a bad flasher.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Anything erratic with 12 volt systems is almost always a ground problem.  My front, under mirror left turn signal was not working.  I replaced it with an LED version bulb.  It was erratic too.  I took it apart and the ground screw for the fixture was loose.  Problem went away by tightening the screw. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:08 PM »
They always work but after turning them on usually after a few blinks, they start to blink fast, then slow no real pattern that I can come up with. Not the end of the world but curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Forgive me if this hijacks your question, Paul ... I have the same problem with my old eyes in the morning, and when sobering up  :o

"Clearly" however, Bill is on the right track for a place to start.  Check the seating of all your lamps - one or more may need a corrosion cleanup.  Then adding a little dielectric grease before reassembly can prevent further corrosion.  Dielectric grease, such as made by Permatex and others, is non-conductive.

I sometimes use what's called "bulb grease" directly on contact points because bulb grease, unlike dielectric grease, is conductive.  But if more than a film of it is used, there is risk of it shorting a smidge of current between proximal contacts, so I only use it very sparingly and judiciously.

There are several videos out there, but here is a sampling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQZ0hfqVNe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7o-CRRmGo        (this one apologizes after-the-fact for calling dielectric conductive, but it's otherwise a decent video)

For exposed connectors you can use one of Ed Buker's favorites, Corrosion-X spray, as a cover-up.  I use it on exposed nuts/posts, etc., for example in the electrical bay streetside forwardmost where a little overspray is okay;  but I like the greases for the smaller contact points themselves, and bullet connectors, pins, etc.

Keep in mind that grease attracts dirt, so when I say "sparingly" or "thin film", I'm sincere.  You don't want globs of grease laying around connections, useless to the electric service intended, and collecting road grime.  Q-tips are handy as applicators.

-Joel

Addendum:  for those of you reading this using Google Chrome, I just discovered it is the only one of my several browser options that for whatever reason does not render the italics operator I used above on the words "conductive" and "non-conductive".  If like mine, the result was those words being eliminated from the text altogether, and it not making sense, it appears to be the fault of Chrome and nothing else.   I also note that the italicized words describing the last edit (immediately below this post) are missing entirely from between the brackets when using Chrome.  I don't know if this is an issue for all Chrome users or a glitch peculiar to mine, but Administrators here may want to check with the webmaster for SMF just in case.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:59:42 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
                 Hi Guys,

Here is my experience with erratic turn signals. If the flasher is cycling rapidly and then slowly it is because of the resistive value in the circuit is changing. Example: If you have a burned out bulb, or an open circuit in a bulb socket the flasher sees less resistence and will flash faster. Inside the turn signal switch, when select right or left there are 4 contacts engaging. 2 for front circuit and 2 fot the rear. Try pushing or lifting lightly on the lever when you turn on the turn signals and see if that alters the flash rate.
     I am also a big fan of dielectric grease any where bulbs fit into sockets because it displaces moisture. As old as these coaches are now becoming, I would take the time to check every turn signal bulb and socket and inspect. Bulbs and dielectric grease are not that expensive and when I'm driving, I like the idea that those watching me know of my intentions.
            Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

paulmatasso

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I removed the rear lenses and noticed that at one point there has been water standing in them. I cleaned the terminals, used bulb grease, and resealed each lense. So far no intermitiant blinking.