Author Topic: Silver Leaf Problem  (Read 2240 times)

George Morlan

• BAC Member
Silver Leaf Problem
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »
I have the Silver Leaf that connects to the diagnostic port at one end and a netbook on the other.  Recently it has sometimes added a lot of miles to both trip logs for a while (making my fuel economy look great), then corrects itself after a while.  Another time it showed a nine figure number for fuel consumption )making my mpg zero), then corrected itself.  It could be a diagnostic port problem. (The numbers on the Aladdin Jr are ok, but it does not connect through the diagnostic port.)  It could be a problem in the Silver Leaf cable, and since it lays on the dash it might have developed an internal break that I can't see.  If it's a problem in the Silver Leaf software, I've hit something rare, because the same software has been in the system for years.  Ditto for the netbook.

Has anyone else encountered this?  If yes, what was the fix?

Edward Buker

Re: Silver Leaf Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:17 AM »
George,

I also run Silverleaf software on a computer using a USB cable but my input comes from the connector that used to go into the Silverleaf. I have not had this problem to date.

All the data comes in on the same cable wiring pair regardless of the parameter. The USB cable has a +V, Grnd, and a Data Plus and Data Minus wire. My expectation is that here is a data polling in some sequence that comes into the tablet on the data wire pair. For one repeated parameter to be in error and all the rest of the parameters to be fine would lead one to believe that this is not an intermittent wiring issue.

If the Alladin is correct and the Silverleaf software on the laptop is not that is truly strange because the Alladin is telling you that clean date exists coming from the ECUs. I was wondering how the tablet gets the data if it does not come off the diagnostic port?

A reasonable guess might be a data timing issue on the laptop where the laptop software misinterprets the data that is coming in on the data lines. Later with slight timing variations the software/tablet gets the input read correctly and then you get the correct data interpretation on the screen. Software code puts in the delays and polling sequence info and a software error or poorly chosen timings, could cause intermittently erractic results.

You could try a different cable and cleaning contacts to rule out that the cable is involved. If there was too much capacitance or contact resistance in the cable they could affect the timings. The Silverleaf folks should have the best insight as to what might be the problem and remedy.

Later Ed