Author Topic: check engine light  (Read 10288 times)

neil omalley

Re: check engine light
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
All: FWIW - I have an intermittent check engine light. Have had it for a couple of years. Have had it checked out several times to no avail. (ie no codes -no lose of power,etc. I have been told by several mechanics that have tried to trace the source of the light it could be something as simple as aweak light ballast. Good luck. p.s. a small piece of electrical tape helps the light go away :)

Mike Nunn

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:02 AM »
Dan, we did have a fault code that indicated low fuel pressure so at least they knew which direction to start.
Niel, I can get the check engine light to appear by trying to increase the speed of the coach with the cruise control if I press it multiple times. If I want to change the cruise setting now I just turn it off and back on and hit set and I do not get the light. The silver leaf never showed a a fault when this happened. Maybe someone can figure that one out I gave up on it.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
Mike, most Cat event codes require the use of factory passwords to clear the code.
some parameters are protected from unauthorized changes by passwords. Factory
passwords are provided only to Cat Dealers. ( this is where Cat has control and cannot
go around the system. ). If several mechanics apparent not Cat mechanics at Dealership
cannont locate any logged events codes than problem is wiring, bare wire ground interminent.
connector. There are a group of 5 Volt sensors that are all connected to ECM with wiring
And is like a Christmas tree light one light go off the complete string is off. With the sensor
group a mechanic has to address each 5 volt sensor and in this case light may go off.
It is possible a 5 Volt sensor is shorted to ground. I like the above a piece of black tape
would work great.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic