Author Topic: I5 RV Fuel Stop  (Read 19028 times)

Edward Buker

Re: I5 RV Fuel Stop
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »
A little update on Gee Cee's fuel stop today. The front section with gas and diesel pumps with small nozzles has poor access with a fence and cement barriers for parking, great for cars and small rigs but not our RV. The truck fill area has great access but no small nozzles. Had the cramped hand hold it on thing going. Price is good but you cannot use a credit card at the pump so a couple of long hikes, leave your card, go back and pay after fueling up. I would use it again but not as convenient as one would like. Still probably the best of the bunch in this area...

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
.... Had the cramped hand hold it on thing going.

Ed,

Get a scrap of 1/4 plywood.  Cut it to the size of a playing card and then cut diagonal from one corner to the other.  Now you have two wedges to insert into the fuel handle.  Insert one parallel to the hose at the end of the squeeze handle.  You can run big nozzle truck pumps at about half the first notch.  It will still click off.  If you run both sides, the $$$ still spins like a slot machine.

I did not invent this.  When Washington state went to self serve gas stations a couple decades ago the gas stations were required to remove the locking device.  Some entrepreneur made a plastic wedge that would fit in your wallet with credit cards.  It, and other things like it, worked so well people would still start the pump and go get their soda, chips or hot dog while the pump was running.  Somebody must have figured out that the homemade devices were not as safe as the real ones and put them back.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
Ed,
I tried Bill's idea and couldn't get it to hold the pump on, so I notched the wedge at approximately 1/4 inch increments and now I don't have to hold it.  I only have problems at some Pilot stations as now and again they won't shut-off automatically.  I have learned to listen to know about when to shut the fuel off on my own.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
Roy and Bill,

I rarely get stuck with the big nozzle pumps but both of these approaches are good ideas. I have a wood shop so it would be easy to make something that would work. Roy, if you get a chance, post a photo of your device, seems this is over due for me given that Flying Js, which I have used a lot due to the RV lanes, are now pushing B15 to B20 in many locations. I do not like that level of biodiesel sitting in my tank in the off season so I avoid them now. 

Roy, is 1/4 inch fine enough or if you could build it over, in some of the most useful step area would you use a couple of 1/8th inch steps to enable higher flow or is this fine at 1/4 inch?

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
If this topic had come up a few weeks ago I would have kept my wedges and sent them to you.  The new owner of the Monterey is going find them resting in the red fuel cap holders and wonder what they are!

I didn't find Roy's steps necessary.  They might be if you insert from the side.  I shoved mine in from the back end, under the hose itself.  Steps were not needed.  I made these along time ago.  As I recall, after the first effort, I trimmed off a chunk of the pointy end of the triangle.  That left a slope making for an infinite adjustment of the flow rate below the handle's first notch.   The metal at the tail end of the lever and the handle frame seemed to be rough enough that it never slipped.  It could be that if Roy is using putting his in from the side it relies on the area of the lever that is polished smooth with truckers hands and gloves. 

I can sketch a drawing, take a photo and post it if my description is not enough!

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
Bill,

Good post and explanation. I was thinking the side of the handle for the wedge and that might very well slip. I get the design now and coming in from the rear sounds like a plan given it worked without slipping and might accommodate a wider wedge ....good idea. Where yours 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch thick stock? When I get home I will make something up and modify as needed.

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:42:29 AM »
1/4 inch.  The slot in the back of the handle is not very wide.