Author Topic: Daily Air System Check  (Read 4919 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Daily Air System Check
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:54:28 AM »
Someone (Monaco Owner) on a different Forum made reference to a daily sir system check.  Never heard of it.  Anyone know what it is and how important it is?  As always thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

Re: Daily Air System Check
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:18 AM »
Jerry,

I should know better than as a former Ensign to try to give advice to a CPO!

You are referring to a procedure required of truckers.  Memory says it comes in a few parts.  One is seeing how long it takes to deplete the air pressure reserve with repeated actuation of the brake pedal.  Next, the emergency valve should pop indicating the "spring brakes" have actuated because you have depleted the air.  Then you time how long it takes for the air pressure to build back up suggesting the compressor is doing it's job and you have no significant system leaks.

Google for it.  There are some good "truck driver training" clips on YouTube.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:48 AM »
Ensigns are always allowed to give advice, they are Officers after all.  My response will be yes Sir or Ma'am.  It's then that they will observe the right way to do it.  If they are smart, both ways will be the same...at least in the end.
Thanks for the info.  Google and the search function here and I don't seem to get along well, like a young Sailor they always seem to answer a different question then I ask!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:36:05 AM »
It must have gone OK because in what seemed like no time at all they made me a Lieutenant.

Here is one Youtube that seems pretty good.  There are others. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-VxS-VQ6o

And another....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUk7mY-KP-k
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:39:22 AM by Bill Sprague »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
Again thank you.  When I grew up in the Navy I always knew that my Boss was my first Class, the Chief's job was training JOs.  As a Chief that was my primary concern.  I was as proud of my successful Officers as my Sailors.  Many made Chief and Senior Chief, some made Master Chief, and even some officers.  Good stuff!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
Jerry,

I should know better than as a former Ensign to try to give advice to a CPO!

You are referring to a procedure required of truckers.  Memory says it comes in a few parts.  One is seeing how long it takes to deplete the air pressure reserve with repeated actuation of the brake pedal.  Next, the emergency valve should pop indicating the "spring brakes" have actuated because you have depleted the air.  Then you time how long it takes for the air pressure to build back up suggesting the compressor is doing it's job and you have no significant system leaks.

Google for it.  There are some good "truck driver training" clips on YouTube.

Bill, coincidentally I ran across this today on Facebook.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH