Author Topic: Kenwood GPS-DVD update  (Read 4672 times)

Bill Laatz

• BAC Member
Kenwood GPS-DVD update
« on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »
The dash mounted "navigation map" is a Kenwood KNA-DV4100 which appears to be obsolete.  My DVD is a KNA-MP414, and I only have the EAST disk.  Since the motorhome is a 2006 I would like to update the DVD map program.  Is there any newer DVD's available??  If not, what have other owners done to become current?  I am the third owner of this Magnificent Marquis and love it despite the normal problems and repairs. 
Bill & Dawn Laatz, 
Oakland, Michigan (N. of Detroit)
2006 Beaver Marquis Jade 45QSL, #38277,
Cat 525HP C-13
2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Kenwood GPS-DVD update
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was looking to upgrade the GPS which was also on a Kenwood.  The quoted cost was over $400 and was not upgradable.  I went to a Garmin small screen bought on Amazon with free upgrades over the internet.  Much happier with the Garmin truck GPS.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »
Our '04 Monterey did not have any GPS.  I went through three Garmins all bought at places like Costco.  The last one was like Roy's with the free US map updates over the internet.  It has guided us all over the country and we've taken it to Europe twice.  The Europe chip was about $40 and made a huge improvement to a driving adventure from Germany through parts of Switzerland, Italy and France. 

Recent improvements to Google Maps on my smartphone are putting pressure on my beloved Garmin.  The sole reason is the traffic calculations.   Google knows where most smartphones are that are using Google Maps and something called Waze.  Google's mainframe, sky and cloud computers can figure out the best route from A to B based on traffic clogged drive times.  For example, there are three freeway routes going north and south for Portland, OR.   Google Maps will keep you off the one with the worst traffic messes and put you on the better of the choices. 

Another weird and newer function is that I can pre-flight routes and traffic on my condo/motorcabin computer.  When I later turn on the smartphone Google Maps somehow seems to remember my most recent route inquiry and goes to work guiding me.

My Garmin has a traffic capability and gets data somehow from "sub channels" on FM radio stations.  It works fairly well but not nearly as well as the current version of Google Maps. 

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
Our '04 Monterey did not have any GPS.  I went through three Garmins all bought at places like Costco.  The last one was like Roy's with the free US map updates over the internet.  It has guided us all over the country and we've taken it to Europe twice.  The Europe chip was about $40 and made a huge improvement to a driving adventure from Germany through parts of Switzerland, Italy and France. 

Recent improvements to Google Maps on my smartphone are putting pressure on my beloved Garmin.  The sole reason is the traffic calculations.   Google knows where most smartphones are that are using Google Maps and something called Waze.  Google's mainframe, sky and cloud computers can figure out the best route from A to B based on traffic clogged drive times.  For example, there are three freeway routes going north and south for Portland, OR.   Google Maps will keep you off the one with the worst traffic messes and put you on the better of the choices. 

Another weird and newer function is that I can pre-flight routes and traffic on my condo/motorcabin computer.  When I later turn on the smartphone Google Maps somehow seems to remember my most recent route inquiry and goes to work guiding me.

My Garmin has a traffic capability and gets data somehow from "sub channels" on FM radio stations.  It works fairly well but not nearly as well as the current version of Google Maps.

Does the Google or Waze Apps have RV settings to warn of low bridges and weight restrictions?  I'm a fan of my RV Garmin since it saved me from driving my 20 tons over a 3 ton bridge!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH