Author Topic: Air Conditioner draining on roof  (Read 17672 times)

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Air Conditioner draining on roof
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
Hello friends, I am having a problem with my bedroom air conditioner water running off of the roof instead of running out of the drain. I think the drain tube comes out in the back of the coach near the mud flap. I have a 2005 Patriot Thunder Wilmington. I tried to access the drain pan on the air conditioner but it sits under the air conditioner. Would it hurt anything to blow compressed air up the drain tube from the other end to blow out whatever has the drain clogged? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Air Conditioner draining on roof
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »
Well I went ahead and tried this fix. Water and a little crud blew out of the drip pan. Tried running the air conditioner again and it still fills the pan and runs out on the roof. Any ideas?
Thanks, Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
How does water run uphill but not downhill?  It has to be the uphill pressure is greater than the downhill gravity pressure.  My guess is there is something plugging up the tube and you need a bit more pressure to force it through.  The drain tube appears full of water at the top?  Can a flaccid wire (with a rounded end; a small, tight loop in the wire's end perhaps) be pushed upwards from the bottom or downward from the top?  What about using air pressure?  There has got to be a way to fix this issue!
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
Dave,  Find someone with a shop vac. Much easier to pulling the muck than push it.

Steve J

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »
Thank you David, I agree. It seems open when I blow thru it, but doesn't drain afterwards. I'm thinking maybe there is something in the pan that flows back over the pan drain when the water starts to flow. There is only about a quarter of an inch gap between the bottom of the unit and the top of the drain pan so I can't see in there to see what's going on. It's very strange indeed. I don't feel it's damaging anything, it's just annoying because it leaves a puddle on the patio. It's definitely not worth pulling the whole unit to get to the pan. I could try your wire idea. Maybe that would answer some questions. It is just so odd that the air seems to blow thru no problem, but the water doesn't drain.
Thanks again, Larry
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
Thanks Steve, with only a quarter inch clearance I don't think I could get a shop vac to work. That is a good thought though. Maybe there is a way.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
Larry,

I wonder if a water hose in the outlet end of the pipe at the bottom of the coach back flushing the drain hose and overflowing the pan would work. I do not know if this method poses any issues but with reasonable pressure it should flush fairly well. You could put a little dishwashing detergent in the garden hose before connecting it up and turning it on to help clean things some.

Later Ed

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:50:54 PM »
Thanks Ed,I think that is worth a try. I'll do it!
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Steve Jewell

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »
Larry, I meant for you to try the vacuum on the lower end of the drain hose.

Steve J

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 02:22:38 AM »
Oh, ok Steve. Sorry I misunderstood. I just got done trying Ed's suggestion of back flushing the drain to overflow the drain pan and try to flush out whatever is preventing it from draining. It worked great!! I'm not sure yet if that solved my problem, but I had water pouring off the roof of the coach so I know it definitely backflushed the system. We will see if that did the trick. Every time I stopped flushing water came pouring out of the hose. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate them all. If this didn't work then maybe the shop vac will.
Larry Fisk
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Mike Groves

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 03:47:03 AM »
Does anyone know when this sort of thing was added to the Marquis?  Mine is a '99 and I've always had the water coming off the roof.  Should I expect to find a drain someplace up there and if so then where?

Thanks,
Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 06:02:21 AM »
Mike,
The Marquis had basement air 2000-2002. So I suspect they went to drains when they went back to roof units in 2003 (I think).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Groves

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »
Steve,

Yes, but mine is a '99 Marquis and it has the dual roof air which did also appear on at least one 2001 Marquis that I almost purchased.  Just wondering if it's worth a look.  I suppose I'd go to the roof and remove the cover and start looking for a hole near the condenser (or whatever its called).  Anyone?

Thanks, Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
              Mike, Very interesting conversation. If the coach came from the factory with roof air conditioning, then it would have the drain hoses incorperated into the roof structure which would be visable if you remove the plastic plenum cover right under the air conditioner. There is a "T" in the hose going to each side that goes thru the mounting gasket and up to the cups mounted to the bottom of the condensate catch tray of the evaperator. Over the years, dust,dirt and lint will accumulate in these cups and block the water flow into the drain hoses. If you blow back thru the hoses, sometimes you get lucky and dis-lodge the blockage but the dirt is still trapped in the cup. Another issue is sometimes the drain hoses droop down under the air conditioner and cause a p-trap effect which will block drainage. There is also a negative pressure on the drain system when the air conditioner is running created up in the evaporator compatment. That is evident when you turn off the a/c and you see an excess amount of condensate water draining from the coach.
              Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Al Lewis

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
I was not aware any had drains. Should I look for one on my 2002 Monterey?