Author Topic: Side windows  (Read 5232 times)

Steve Albert

Side windows
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »
Does anyone know how the siding window comes out of the window I opened mine to hard and broke the inner glass. I got the screen off but do not see how to take the one that slides out?

Edward Buker

Re: Side windows
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
Steve,

I asked this question of someone who works in a business that pulls and reseals these units and they said that the whole window had to be pulled in order to remove that small window from the window frame.

I broke the glass window panel in the screen door and replaced it with plexiglass. You would lose the thermal pane and have just a single pane if you attempted the replacement the current unit with plexiglass. There may be enough flex in plexiglass to allow you to bend the panel enough to allow it to go in place in the frame. The dimensions would have to be just right, might be a bit of trial and error. It would have to be thin enough to flex which may not work well in the track. The best solution is to pull it and have that glass panel replaced.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »
             Hi Steve,

The window needs to be removed as an assembly and then the frame is taken apart to access the slider window. If your so inclined to tackle this, it is a two man job as the window is removed from the coach.
    1- Remove the window treatment, valance, ect. 2- remove all the screws from the inner clamp ring going into the window frame. 3- apply masking tape on the outside to orient the exact location for rassembly. 4-run a razor knife around the perimeter of the exterior frame thru the sealant. 5- push from the inside either upper corner to start the window to pull away from the sidewall and have your helper get a grip from the outside. 6- visit your local glass shop that does automotive window repair. Good luck and Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Steve Albert

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
Thanks for the info Edward & Fred :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:39:45 PM by Steve Albert »

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »
Another side window question:

Have one sliding window (over dining area) that works very hard.  Have vacuumed out the channels and used silicone spray with very little results. 

Any thoughts at to how to free it up without taking the whole thing apart?

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »
Frank,

I have not tried this myself but I see no downside. Take a Qtip and some Johnson's paste wax and coat the top and bottom track recess with some. I use this all the time on table saws, planers, places where I want things to slide and it really helps. Should be available at hardware stores, Home Depot, or Lowes.

If you try it let us know if it helps.

Later Ed