Author Topic: Towing trailer with Beaver Patriot  (Read 17905 times)

Edward Buker

Re: Towing trailer with Beaver Patriot
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
Jerry,

The Jake brake that you have is a great system that is pretty much trouble free. It is far superior to the exhaust brake which does raise pressures by restricting the flow of exhaust.

The Jake system basically stops the fuel flow and when the cylinder goes into a compression stroke there is no combustion so you now have a compressor using energy to compress the air in the cylinder. This is a normal compression stroke so the engine never sees any increased pressure or excess stresses. If that air was not exhausted at the top of the stroke then it would drive the cylinder back down so a small third valve is incorporated which opens and the air is exhausted at the top of the stroke which is the distinct sound that an that an unmuffled Jake brake puts out. Your rocker switch drives the mechanicals to utilize all 6 cylinders or just 3 which is the Hi/Low option or off.

Jerry, this is a great system that just needs a little attention to select the right gear while using it if the preselect is not right for the hill at hand. It is all pretty much bullet proof and one of the joys of having a C12.....the other is the power :-)

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »
Thanks Ed, I do love the Jake brake.  I find myself using it under normal driving to almost come to a stop even driving in town.  I just keep lots of room between me and other cars.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
Because the Exhaust brake is external it must be lubed and manualy actuated and relubed on the arm and the door pivots as well because it will freeze up from the heat and corrosion.  Now there is a surprise I would avoid.

Thats my 2 cents
Keith

Thanks Keith... that's what I was trying to explain.  Here's more info:   http://pacbrake.com/supplemental-brakes/prxb-exhaust-brakes/maintenance/

Sorry if this thread is sashaying too far afield of your original question, Barbara.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 11:41:13 PM »
Sorry about the diversion, back to the original question!  Our Patriot is 40 ft long and I tow a full size Dodge 4X$ pick up.  I never measured but I'm guessing close to 65 ft when hooked up.  At a few CGs I usually know whether I'm going to have to unhook as soon as I drive in.  With our ReadyBrute Elite it's usually only a matter of 5 minutes or so to unhook.  So not a problem so far.  Happy Camping!!!

Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH