Author Topic: 2002 Patriot Thunder - Manuals/schematics for Suspension and Leveling needed  (Read 13644 times)

Robert Green

Hello All:
New guy here.  I'm located near Ft. Myers, Florida.

In need of information to help mechanic sort out our suspension and leveling problems.  The rig drove fine when we first bought it a few weeks ago.   Shortly after buying it used, the front air bags now don't inflate.  Additonally, the mechanic tells me that when the coach is started, the hydraulic leveling system (I believe it is called an SMC IDS system - no jacks to the ground) pushed the chassis up high on one side.  So might have a compounded issue where the leveling rams are engaged AND the front air bags are not inflating.  The term jarring doesn't adequately describe the experience of moving the coach down the road. 

The mechanic is struggling with the system as he has no material to guide diagnostics.  Informs me the two systems are interconnected, and that he needs schematics and technical manuals to get this worked out.  Many calls to various manufactures have yielded little data.

I was hopeful he could isolate that leveling system and shut it down, then get the front bags working.  At least the coach could be moved without horrendous jarring.  Without more information I'm afraid we're out of business.  I've found threads that have manuals and schematics for earlier Beaver coaches, but have not found detailed technical material for the 2002 Patriot Thunder. 

Appreciate any help and guidance.  I have tried to seek out a subject matter expert who can consult with our mechanic (for fee) or could provide technical documentation.  Left messages at Beaver Coach, Drew RV, Rob Pierce at SumBum RV, and others. 

Thank you!

Roy C Tyler

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Robert, I answered in the other thread also.  I contacted the guy that rebuilt my controls for the SMC into a manual system.  He did a great job for us.  He works for Camping World in Kissimmee Fl.  I would never recommend a Camping World to anyone but you can call him on his cell phone.  Don't know what, if anything he can do or if he may come that far south.  He is also a Mobile Tech when he has time.  Maybe a longshot but maybe will help.
His name is Nandy LaFontaigne.  He is a really nice guy.  Below is a pic (if it worked) of the manual panel he built.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:17:54 AM by Jerry Emert »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Attached is a pic of the schematic of the rebuilt controls if it helps.  I don't believe that control panel is available any more unless one of the members here has a spare they are willing to part with.  Maybe ebay also.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Robert, I answered in the other thread also.  I contacted the guy that rebuilt my controls for the SMC into a manual system.  He did a great job for us.  He works for Camping World in Kissimmee Fl.  I would never recommend a Camping World to anyone but you can call him on his cell phone.  Don't know what, if anything he can do or if he may come that far south.  He is also a Mobile Tech when he has time.  Maybe a longshot but maybe will help.
His name is Nandy LaFontaigne.  He looks like a gang banger but is a really nice guy.  Below is a pic (if it worked) of the manual panel he built.

Duh!! Here is his number:
813-409-8717
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Robert Green

Chuck
Thank you for digging this up for me!

Jerry
Really appreciate the help and reference to a potential source in Florida. I will see if Nandy LaFontaigne is still around and what advice he may have. The panel photo and the schematics are really helpful.

So to be clear, your system is working?  Is it still the SMC jacks?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Chuck
Thank you for digging this up for me!

Jerry
Really appreciate the help and reference to a potential source in Florida. I will see if Nandy LaFontaigne is still around and what advice he may have. The panel photo and the schematics are really helpful.

So to be clear, your system is working?  Is it still the SMC jacks?

Nandy is around, I called him first to make sure I didn't give you a bad number.  What he be willing to do for you I don't know.
Yes the jacks are all the same.  He hooked up the manual controls and added some switches to the base of the jacks to indicate that they are down, the LEDs you see on the panel.  The switch on the far left turns the system on in the up position and it dumps the air when pushed down.  Recently my air levelers quit working and the hydraulics were all I had and they worked well.  To be honest they scare me a little.  All the stories of jacks getting stuck down.  I only use them when I have to.  I do exercise them when I do my monthly checks though.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Robert Green

Outstanding Jerry. Thanks for connecting me with Nandy.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Robert, I have a 2001 Beaver Contessa that had the SMC IDS jacks when I bought it. I had a left rear jack with an internal leak.

Couldn't find anyone that rebuilds these a year ago but heard that BCS does now. I bit the bullet and drove to HWH in Moscow, Iowa last July 2014 and had the hyd jacks removed and lines capped. The control panel was removed and replaced with an HWH panel that they built and tied into the airbags for leveling with air only.

After messing with the SMC system for over a year  and the labor costs I decided the $4900 I spent for this conversion was not so bad. Levels in a matter of seconds now, and adjusts to travel mode with a button push.

I have two jacks that are still good, an IDS control panel, and two solenoids sitting in my shed if you ever need parts. I sold one jack to Les Brandt for his coach!

Good luck with your repairs!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

La Monte,

I would like to buy the IDS control panel, how much do you want for it?

I am guessing that Robert would not want to go this way given his wiring has all been moved to a manual panel in the armrest and it would seem far easier to get a simple control switch system to work then to try and figure out how to get back to the original. My guess is all the plugs would have been cut off to manually wire his arrangement and that would make going backwards about impossible. If for some reason he does go this way I would yield to his need.

You can reach me at ednjillb@hotmail.com to sort this out.

Later Ed

Robert Green

Robert, I have a 2001 Beaver Contessa that had the SMC IDS jacks when I bought it. I had a left rear jack with an internal leak.

Couldn't find anyone that rebuilds these a year ago but heard that BCS does now. I bit the bullet and drove to HWH in Moscow, Iowa last July 2014 and had the hyd jacks removed and lines capped. The control panel was removed and replaced with an HWH panel that they built and tied into the airbags for leveling with air only.

After messing with the SMC system for over a year  and the labor costs I decided the $4900 I spent for this conversion was not so bad. Levels in a matter of seconds now, and adjusts to travel mode with a button push.

I have two jacks that are still good, an IDS control panel, and two solenoids sitting in my shed if you ever need parts. I sold one jack to Les Brandt for his coach!

Good luck with your repairs!

Lamonte
Thanks for the information on the conversion.  The HWH update sounds awesome.  Would LOVE that in our coach.  Thanks for the parts offer!  To Ed's point, I think I'll go the way of the manual leveler for now so I'm glad to stand aside to accommodate Ed's interest in the control panel.  I would like to discuss the two jacks.  I'll send you PM on the matter. 

Thanks!