Author Topic: Mushy Brake pedal  (Read 5198 times)

Wayne Ridsdale

Mushy Brake pedal
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Hi I am a new member with zero RV experience looking at purchasing a 1999 36 ft. Monterey. I searched the forum and found answers to the "creeping window sealant" problem. But I couldn't find any thing reference to a recurring problem with a mushy or soft brake pedal. When the brake pedal is pushed there is some resistance but the pedal slowly moves towards the floor and I don't think I am getting anywhere near the braking power I should. The seller who also does not have a lot of experience says he is told that this is normal with the air over hydraulic system. With a straight hydraulic brake system I would say it was a bad master cylinder but I don't know how the system works. Can any one give me any advice on this issue?

Thanks
Wayne Ridsdale

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Mushy Brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:54:22 PM »
Wayne,

Welcome to the BAC and forum.  This is a great place for information.  I would recommend that you have a good heavy duty truck shop look at your brake system.  This problem could be several things and caution should be given before driving.

Could be a leak in either the air side or the hydraulic side of the braking system.  Could be just flushing the brake fluid and refilling.  Just do not take a chance... Drive with care until the problem is fixed.

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
Wayne,
I remember from my 1999 Patriot Thunder that the rear brakes were drum brakes and they didn't slow me down as much as my present disc brakes.  I don't remember them ever going to the floor as I was stopping, but they didn't stop the coach as well as I would have liked.  I think you need to have those brakes looked at because I think Karl is correct in his assumption you either have an air leak or a hydraulic leak.  Good luck and I hope you purchase the coach.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:45:22 AM »
Wayne regarding your air over hydraulic stopping power. We had other interest with that setup with
master cylinder. What things sound like there is air in your wheel brake cylinders that sounds just a
simple bleed brakes problem. Motorhome more than likely been setting and depending location heat
will work on the brake system. Having the air over hydraulic setup if brakes did not have air you would
have a firm braking when brakes were applied. I think if Gerald is in range maybe he could give advise
on this subject. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic