Author Topic: Need help with slide topper fabric replacement  (Read 20586 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Need help with slide topper fabric replacement
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 02:45:10 AM »
Stan, the length of awning material from the poly rod in the rail on the RV to the poly Rod in the roller is 48 inches. This does not include the inch or so at each end to encircle the poly rod. I am quite confident that my awning is the Carefree Omega II.

I look forward to hearing how you make out. Good luck

Bob

Its rained here for two days straight. As soon as we get dry, I'm going to go measure it again. Thank you, Bob. I will let you know how I make out.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
Stan, the length of awning material from the poly rod in the rail on the RV to the poly Rod in the roller is 48 inches. This does not include the inch or so at each end to encircle the poly rod. I am quite confident that my awning is the Carefree Omega II.

I look forward to hearing how you make out. Good luck

Bob

Its rained here for two days straight. As soon as we get dry, I'm going to go measure it again. Thank you, Bob. I will let you know how I make out.

Update:

It stopped raining long enough for me to pull the thing apart. I found the part # and serial number on the roller tube after the fabric was out. My part # is VE092EAEA179, and the color is linen tweed. So, Monaco put the wrong part # for that slide topper/window awning on my parts sheet. (see picture in my original post)

The good news is that all of the fabric is there. There are no tears or holes except where the old stitching was. I just have to have it re-stitched and re-installed.

Thank you everyone for the help. Very much appreciated. By myself, I would still be arguing about the part # with Carefree of Colorado. Can't say enough about how great this forum is.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roy Deeble

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 11:32:07 PM »
That's great news Stan.  Be sure to inspect your three other toppers, all of mine were close to failing when my right rear topper tore loose at this weather exposed seam.  It might be cheaper to have them all restitched at the same time. I don't believe my coach has ever been under cover so yours may be in better shape than mine were at 8 yrs.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 09:15:16 PM »
Good news! I found the local, former Monaco brands dealer, had 15 feet of polyrod in stock and sold it all to me for $1 a foot. The only other place I could find it, was inside new fabric, from all of the vendors mentioned in previous posts. And then I found a tailor who has lots of experience stitching flags and other large fabrics, so he's going to re-stich the fabric for me, cost; $20.00. With Becky's help, I can re-install it myself. So, I'm thinking a potential $600 job ended up being about $35.00...not including my $500 an hour labor. I'll pay that some day!  8)
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 01:48:15 AM »
Stan,

If you can get the person who stiches to use Tenara Gore Tex thread you will never have a problem again. It is the only thread that holds up and is guaranteed for life. There are others that say UV resistant but they will fail typically in 3-5 years. I had my slide covers re-stiched with Tenara 5 years ago and they are all just fine. Most shops do not use this thread given a spool is $109 but with all the work involved in stitching and removing and reinstalling the slide covers I would never use anything else. There is a marine canvas shop in Pensacola area where I live that handles a lot of boat canvas work and in 20 years of being in business he has found no other thread that will last in the gulf marine environment but Tenara.

http://www.amazon.com/Gore-Tenara-M1000HKTR-L5-HKTR-Clear/dp/B0064DJ59E

We are getting to old to do things twice :-)

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
Re: Need help with slide topper fabric replacement Update
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
Update:

With Becky's help, we removed the slide topper fabric from the brackets, measured it; its 96 in x 36 in. Took the fabric to a guy who makes custom flags and can stitch heavy material. He charge me $30 and it came out great. Becky and I re-installed the fabric on the roller, and to the side of the coach. When we put the slide out, it covers the top, and there is still enough fabric in the roller so when we put the awning out as well, the window is amply shaded.

One small problem not covered in the Omega II installation manual. The strap used for pulling the awning down with the hook is not wound around the roller the correct way. I put the fabric into the a slot in the roller and the strap into another slot on the roller. The slot is too small for both of them to go in to the same slot. Now when I put the slide in, the fabric gets caught up in the strap, impeding a smooth retraction of the fabric back in to the roller.

Has anyone done this re-install, and can you tell me which slot the strap goes in, and which way should it wind?

Thank you,

Stan
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:24:56 PM by Stan Simpson »
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
I had the streetside living room  topper replaced and the part was"ZVN152EA29 Carefree awning material 152 in. "
Cost was $320 w/$20 for freight and $160 labor.  It has the ? arms and will serve as a window shade although I must mention that getting the awning to the extended position to shade the windows is not at all easy.  I have to pull the awning out before extending the slide or I won't have the ability to do it.