Author Topic: 2002 Patriot Thunder - Suspension and Leveling System Problems  (Read 52604 times)

Frank Towle

Re: 2002 Patriot Thunder - Suspension and Leveling System Problems
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
Reading thru posts twice wasn't sure linkage issue was covered.

Good pic of control valve that is mounted to frame member and moves up and down as airbags are filled/emptied by this same valve.

The rod extending from valve is near horizontal when coach is 'level.'  The vertical rod affixed to an axle member is then connected to the horizontal rod by the rubber 'bushing' and two hose clamps on this bushing provide the adjustment(s).  Vertial rod should be as near vertical as possible by sliding bushing back and forth on hrizontal rod - height is only controlled by sliding bushing up and down on vertical rod.  Takes very little adjustment for signicant change.  This cross shaped bushing ROTS with age - keep a replacement in your kit, they're cheap.

The 10" sdjustment is between airbag mounting plates. Important not only for driveshaft allignment but also front axle alignment and resulting steering ease/control.  Watched bus alignment center do my coach: first set rear height, then front averaging both sides, only then starting on actual frontend alignment.  He didn't touch frontend alignment - one rear corner was an inch low causing pull to one side!

Hope above helps someone,  Cheers,

Edward Buker

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
Frank,

Is there a PN for the rubber bushing? Can it be sourced at a NAPA store?

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
According to this thread, you may indeed be able to find it at NAPA, Ed;  I'm not sure the P/N is the same for all rigs - I think some are Bendix and others Haldex, etc. :   http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23227277/print/true.cfm

Joel

By the way, if anyone wants a little more enlightenment (and perhaps some entertainment) on what's going on under there, this video is clumsy but helps picture things.  Note the guy is working from a service pit, far easier and safer than lying on your back, which is not something anyone here should be trying without the coach at least up on blocks.  Though I prefer letting the pros handle air stuff underneath, I'm not certain this is the fellow I'd pick...    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Et2_RWFTs
There are more air valve related videos listed there for our viewing pleasure, but not if you are pressed for time.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:15 AM »
Thanks Joel,

Seems like Magnum probably used the same set up and valves, be nice to have the PNs in one place of all the parts involved. I would like to buy the metal coupler and the rubber piece that would be needed in case mine failed. Still not clear on the rubber piece PN.

Later Ed

Robert Green

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 02:29:09 AM »
Mine is a Haldex. Here are the part number. Note the valve part number has actually changed again.

KN27010 - VALVE ONLY - High flow
RN10JC - Linkage Repair Kit (connector link, hose clamp, and cotter pin)
RN10JE - Exhaust repair kit (exhaust portion of valve only, filter and boot)
KQ10915 - Valve repair kit (for metal valve only)
RN10JH - Horizontal Linkage Kit
RN10JJ - Vertical Linkage Kit

I have found the big rig shops are better sources for these parts.

Robert Green

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 02:50:27 AM »
So worked to get the jacks up today. The SMC schematic was helpful.  I was able to isolate the RF Retract solenoid on the manifold. At the panel, I pulled all the wires so that nothing would be activated when I powered the system. I jumped the power lead directly to the RF Retract wiring.

At the manifold I found the proper solenoid was powered and that it had a good magnetic pull. Jumped the pump with some big gator clips and let it run. Nothing.  Jack did not retract at all.

Swapped another solenoid to the proper cylinder and tried again. Nothing.

Tried it with the motor running and with the motor off.

My one thought is that the system may have low fluid.  Will check that out tomorrow.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 06:13:18 AM »
Hey Ed, don't forget this thread from 2012:   http://forum.bacrallies.com/cgi-bin/old_forum/Blah.pl?m-1330799013/.   A call to BCS may result in a Haldex part number that's known for your 2002 Marquis, in case it's not the same as a 2002 Patriot.  In case it is:  http://www.amazon.com/Haldex-Midland-RN10JC-Linkage-Repair/dp/B0046NW0DW

Joel
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:15:27 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks Joel,

Funny that the valve linkage looks pretty standard on our RVs, yet nobody has posted what they use for the rubber tubing which is one of the parts that fails most often. Not sure why the kit does not come with that. Any ideas?

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
Sorry Ed, I've not seen a photo or a diagram that includes any tubing.  The only rubber that I know of is the black T junction itself, which is what disintegrated and let go on our coach.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Towle

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2015, 03:02:45 AM »
Everything you wanted to know about air suspensions:

www.hwhcorp.com/Intro_to_Air_Suspensions.pdf

A test follows...

Frank Towle

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2015, 03:34:08 AM »
Found the rubber cross part at NAPA:  MBI RN10JC $4.99 each

Frank Towle

Edward Buker

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 05:45:34 AM »
Frank,

I guess what is tripping me up is that what is in the photo looks like metal. I have not had to change mine and by recollection I though there was some rubber type tube doing some of the connection but maybe it is just that T piece in your photo. I adjusted my last RV ride height but it was long enough ago that I do not recall the parts exactly.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
The T is rubber or similar;  note the hose clamp which wouldn't work to clamp down on a rod if the T was metal.  But now that you mention it, one might think it to be dark metal.  Photos of it in place on the control rod, though, imply the clamp must be squeezing flexible material.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
After reading Frank's link to the HWH article, I can't say which height control arrangement I have, especially since I've not seen ours first hand.  A tech showed me the culprit when the rubber T link failed, brandishing it proudly as he crawled out from underneath.

My rig's system could be manual or it could be electronic - whichever the Cushion Air Glide is supposed to be.  I'm presuming the linkage to the axle is the same or similar, whether the valve operates directly or via an electronic module attached to it.  Next time I'm under there or at BCS, I'll be finding out.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat