Author Topic: Slide roller failure  (Read 11418 times)

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

Re: roller failure
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 08:39:39 PM »
I got the roller assembly replaced with a new unit recently and once the gasket and gasket support were removed the tech said it was fairly easy.  The mounting bracket was a bit different and required trimming and an additional hole drilled  I kept the original assembly as the roller was as new.  The failure of the assembly was a design flaw as far as I'm concerned.  The adjustment nut is secured to the floor of the bracket in a hex shaped hole cut to fit a groove cut in the nut.  The corners of the cutout are cut like the petals of a flower and bent up to allow the nut to seat its groove in the cutout and then the bracket floor is bent back flat so that the edges of the cutout anchor into the nut.  Mine apparently failed when bumpy roads were bad enough to overload the bracket and force the cutout petals to bend down and let the nut pop out causing the roller to collapse.  I rebent the bracket to remove the deformation and used a press to force the nut back into position.  I am going to find a local welder to weld the nut in place and add an additional 1/8" plate to the bottom to reinforce the bracket   I'll keep it as a spare and hope for smoother roads