Author Topic: New Beaver Owner - Hot Water, Generator and Jacks issues - All Resolved Now.  (Read 45858 times)

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
Re: New Beaver Owner - Hot Water, Generator and Jacks issues
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
Just spoke with Jim at Aquahot, he agrees that it sounds like the tempering valve, rebuild kit $110..... He did say there was a chance I could disassemble it and just clean it up and it might work, so will try that first.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
From the sound of some of your earlier posts, you might find it clogged with Cocaine!  Don't get too close.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 11:17:45 PM »
It was 100 lbs of marijuana and 5 grams of meth, plus another 100 lbs of marijuana in their house.  All in duffle bags with each bag labeled with the type of dope.

They had gotten caught once before coming back from the East coast with $100,000 that Chicago Police seized and then sent them on their way.

And they still got sentenced to probation.......  I guess they felt them losing a $60k motor home was punishment enough.

Oh well, their loss, our gain :)

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer

Edward Buker

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »
Tim,

Take a photo of your tempering valve and you should be able to buy a rebuild kit at any plumbing supply house at a fraction of that cost. If the unit has a brand and number on it that will help. One of the main tempering valve brands was Watts which is likely what you have.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Sprague

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
This will sound odd, but please double check that the outside shower valves are off.  If they are on and the shower head is off, weird things happen.

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
When you say valves, do you mean the shutoffs on the water panel, or just the faucet knobs?

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer

JCMillerSr

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
This will sound odd, but please double check that the outside shower valves are off.  If they are on and the shower head is off, weird things happen.

Bill has brought up a very important issue which I learned the hard way several years ago.  Apparently some coaches are designed to mix the hot and cold if the outside shower valves are on which results in nothing but warm water from all other sources within the coach.  The first time I encountered this was after leaving the valves on after doing some exterior cleanup.  The second time was once when DW activated the "pause" button on the inside shower instead of turning the water off at the wall valve.  Same thing happened both times....nothing but lukewarm water everywhere.  Although this seems to be standard in many coaches I have never seen this information documented in any of the owner manuals. 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Tim - Our coach does not have an outside shower.  Many coaches, 5th wheels, campers, etc., do have them.  Our coach has an outside faucet in the water bay, but no outside shower.  The point is you may not have an outside shower.  I don't know.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
Mine has a faucet with a spray nozzle (like in a typical kitchen sink), I am assuming they consider that a shower.  I checked and both knobs are in the off position.  On the manifold board there is no shutoff for the outside shower.

Aquahot had me check the water line coming out of the AH pre mixer valve and it's hot enough you don't want to touch it long, the line coming out from the mixer valve is cold.  He considered that pretty definitive evidence that it is the mixer valve.

I will crop a photo of the valve from the service manual and send it around the local plumbing supply places and see if any of them have a similar valve.

That will have to wait til Monday tho.  For now we are just using the showers at the campground and boiling water to wash dishes.

We have a Keureg to make drinkable hot water for cocoa, tea, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »
Well, it was the tempering valve.  Once my mechanic got it removed the hot inlet side was completely closed off except for a pin hole in the middle.  The mix outlet was about 50% closed off as well.  Nobody in our area had the valve in stock, they could all order it, and nobody had it for much less than AquaHot so I found one on Amazon with over night prime shipping for $78.  Lowes does show they carry it for $8.75, but none of the stores within 100+ miles had it in stock.

We fired up the diesel heat and in about 15 minutes I had hot water coming out of the faucets!  So I can finally take a hot shower in my camper now.

We're going to take it camping tonight and enjoy the hot water.  Tomorrow it goes up to What Cheer, IA for the big flea market the following weekend.  The wife will spend 5 days in it then and not have to fight the crowds at the shower house.

At this point I think we have pretty much everything of importance fixed, still need to get a in dash stereo installed, so will have to figure out the wiring diagram, but that's for another day.
Tim & Ann Schafer

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: New Beaver Owner - Hot Water, Generator and Jacks issues - All Resolved Now.
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 05:13:53 PM »
Welcome to the club Tim & Ann, I am glad your getting hot water there is nothing like a cold shower in the morning!
As you can surley see the forum is a great place for help.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:39:23 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Carol Moffett

Re: New Beaver Owner - Hot Water, Generator and Jacks issues - All Resolved Now.
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
Tim,
   Did I read the words, "So I can finally take a shower in my CAMPER now???"
Gasp!  Lol!  That little beauty you are in is called a COACH!  Shame on you!  :o  Lol!
All kidding aside, welcome to the club!  Hope to see you at a rally some time!
:^3=~
Carol
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:53:06 AM by Carol Moffett »
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
Ok, well now I have hot water in my "coach", lol, but now I don't have heat from the heater, my aqua hot only has one pump, so I'm guessing my rv guy must have not plugged something back in, anyone have a recommendation to start my hunt for the issue?

Thanks again for any advice you can provide.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Frank Towle

Of course the boiler is heating up or you wouldn't have hot water.  So eliminate the burner/boiler issue.

Do you have an electrical switch somewhere that says "Heatercraft"  with High, Off, Low settings?  It turns on the fan pushing air thru the small interior radiators.  We (I) fumbled for 1/2 hour with no heat discovered had turned the switch to Off by mistake, duh... 

Second is pump operating to push antifreeze thru piping to radiators?  Should be able to hear pump running.  And hoses will be very hot. 

Any alarms on the control computer?

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
be sure you have the thermostat on for heat, and the switches to low or high for the heat to kick on....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl