Author Topic: Bat wing antenna  (Read 4708 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Bat wing antenna
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
We have as our sole TV reception device, the standard bat-wing antenna that raises with a crank over the driver's seat.  I raised it for the first time yesterday, but the ring that adjusts the antenna's direction doesn't want to turn.  I must be missing something here and hope you can help in advance of tomorrow night's Packers-Seahawks game.

Larry

PS: Go Pack!

Lee Welbanks

Re: Bat wing antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
I'm sure you know that you have to pull down on the ring to get the device to turn, probably the aluminum base on your roof is corroded from none use.
Mine got to where it wasn't wanting to turn and then I broke the handle, replaced with a Winegard Roadstar unit, no more raising/lowering or hunting for signal. Seems to work pretty good.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
          Lawrence, have you had your roof resealed recently? Sometimes they will slop sealant onto the  rotator housing which will lock it up. Another thing is go out and look and see if the antenna is verticle so it is not caught in the stow saddle. Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 04:56:40 PM »
Thanks, Fred.  Roof has not been sealed.  I'll go up when we get to our camp site.  Or maybe I'll send my bride up  ;)

Larry

Ken Kruse

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
Bat wing antenna rotation can occasionally freeze up.  The fix is a person on the roof with a can of WD 40 to literally flood the mechanism while someone in the coach rotates the antenna.
2016 Newmar Dutch Star
425 Cummins