Author Topic: Shower Door Lock?  (Read 14177 times)

Edward Buker

Re: Shower Door Lock?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
Rick,

That was the standard "lock" added by Beaver. Three issues with it. It leaves the heavy door parked over the unsupported curved bar on the top that uses white metal extrusion couplings inside that piece of aluminum tube that can be stressed and broken over time. Also the rollers being parked with the door closed over time will indent the plastic runner inserted on the top leaving depressions that cause the door to not move easily, like rolling over bumps. You can replace that plastic insert if you have that problem. The biggest issue is the door can jump having the rollers come up off the round track rail on severe road humps/bumps while driving and literally crash and break. The safer thing to do is find a way to park the moving door over the fixed panel and secure it from rolling and rising off the rail. The forum has some personal solutions posted if you search.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
           Hi Rick,

Because of Ed's advice earlier in this thread and having had my curved door jump off the track and not break and not punch a hole in the shower pan, I installed a 3/16 knurled pin thru the bottom track and into the lower door extrusion. It prevents horizontal and vertical movement. The best part is that the door is stored over the fixed panel for support. Kudos to Ed. Enclosed is a pix.  Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Carol Moffett

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
Rick,
   This is the exact lock that was installed on ours and it is NOT good! 
I suggest you utilize one of the great solutions the others have come up with, or do like I did (we didn't want to put screws anywhere) and come up with your own.

Fred,
    This is an interesting solve!  How long has this been working for you?  My concern is that this door is SO heavy, and it seems that the first roller to jump off the track during a quick stop, is the one on the curve of the door...the one closest to the wall when open...and your pin seems a bit far from "problem", if ya get my drift.  A long kitty corner distance...might'nt the roller still come off, torquing the door and twisting the pin?
   That is why I'm curious to know how long this has worked for you.  The DH might go so far as to try THIS, lol, if it is a proven fix, like Eds!  So far my suction cup idea is doing very well but does not put any downward pressure on the door.
Thanks!
Carol
:^3=~
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:38 AM »
        Hi Carol,

I did this about 2 weeks ago and then went on a 1000 mile journey with the 2 grandsons. The trip included the return trip to Palm Desert west of Indio Ca. Perhaps you know how bad I-10 is in California. The shower door is pretty much trapped vertically and horizonally as well as laterally.
      I considered all the options and chose the one I did primarily because my wife is vertically challanged (5' tall) and I don't want her climbing step stools and having an accident.
      I'm going over to the coach tomorrow and check out your concerns and get back to you.
                            Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Edward Buker

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
Fred,

I had considered something like that but I was concerned (chicken) about drilling a hole in the metal frame of the curved glass door thinking I might knick the glass with a drill bit. I could not tell exactly how deep the glass went into the metal frame edge.

Did you drill all the way through the frame piece of the glass door and what diameter was the hole and pin? If you slide the door toward closing or if you went all the way through the door frame, can you take a close up photo of the hole location from the inside or outside of the door, whichever gave the best view. That would help anyone willing to give this a try.

Nice simple secure method of locking the door, good job Fred.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Carol Moffett

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Hello Fred,
   Wow, that does sound promising!  I am also interested in all those things Ed brings up.  You may have just completely solved this problem for everyone!  "The standard in RV shower door locks"!  Cool!
Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad

Doug Allman

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »
BCS still has the plastic strap locks just like Rick's picture shows. Just ordered 2 this spring.