Author Topic: Dead Volt Meter  (Read 3980 times)

Roy C Tyler

Dead Volt Meter
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:21:52 AM »
After leaving West Yellowstone, I looked down and my dash Volt Meter was not working.  I looked at the Aladdin and it was reading 13.6 to 14.2 volts.  When I was able to pull into a rest area, I went back and put my multi-meter on the positive and negative terminals of the chassis batteries.  I was reading 13.8 volts there so I was not worried and continued on to my next over night stop.  I realize that according to Gerald the dash gages are for entertainment only but I would like to be entertained as much as possible so I would like to get to the source of the problem.  After reading the owners manual it states that the volt meter is for reading the condition of the chassis batteries and the connections to the batteries all seem to be good and tight including the smaller wires attached to the positive terminals.

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for a bad fuse or broken wire?  It has been a couple of days since it happened and everything seems to be working just fine.  I am able to start the MH and continue on my trip daily with no other problems, just no working volt meter.

Edward Buker

Re: Dead Volt Meter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:33:33 AM »
Chuck,

Measure on the back of the meter for 12V. If 12V is there the meter is bad, if not you could pick up 12v elsewhere behind the dash and just run a new wire. Sometimes you can wiggle the wires a bit and find a bad crimp or loose connection. Just work on wiggling the wires that are on the back of the voltmeter so as not to loosen anything else.

Later Ed

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
Chuck, Gerald is correct dash gauges are for entertainment, and you know everything is working
and your wife forget to pop a bag of popcorn for the main event. I agree with Ed, look close at volt meter,
for loose connection on one side of volt meter or bad wire. If you can get at volt meter again again
check across both post. One thing a volt meter will tell you what condition your battery is in, amp gauge
will you the charging circuit is putting out. Could it been possible to have low battery for some reason
 you are seeing two different readings.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »
ED -  Thanks for the suggestion.  We are in Montana now and when we get to Pacific Shores in Oregon next week, I will have time to pull the dash and check the back of the meter.

Dave - The batteries seem to be fully charged and are two years old.  The gauge needle is completely down at the bottom with no movement at all.  I suspect that the feed wire for the gauge is broken at its starting point...just not sure where that is.