Author Topic: insulation repair  (Read 12747 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
insulation repair
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:13:48 PM »
On my 06 Patriot I have an issue with the insulation wrap on the aqua hot exhaust, it is now frayed and hanging in spots, my question is should I replace this with a new sleeve or should I wrap this with some other type of product for a quick repair? If I do just use a quick repair method what's available to do the job?

Regards, Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

Re: insulation repair
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
Interesting!  Mine has no insulation.  The exaust runs in a bare pipe from the Hydro Hot behind the right front wheel to the outlet infront of the left rear wheel and under the bedroom window.  I wonder how many are insulated and how many are not.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
Hi Bill,

It sound like a change in the plumbing my coach is an 06 Pat. Thunder On my Rig the exhaust pipe crosses the coach from the passengers side to the exit on the drivers side located at the Elec/Plumbing access door. The insulation is a woven product that appears to not hold up very well, I assume it's been installed by the Factory as a safety issue preventing brush or grass flare ups during parking.  The sleeve is rather unsightly and it's now hanging down. I would like to just put a wrap around it but am not sure what available, or perhaps I should just remove it?.

Regards, Jerry

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Jerry,

My exhaust plumbing on my '04 Monterey is routed the same way but there has never been any insulation.  Next week I'll be at a rally in Leanvenworth, WA with about a dozen coaches.  I'm going to look under some and see what they have.  

Bill

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »
Thanks Bill, would it be helpful if I send a photo for your use? I will be at the Harrisburg rally and FMCA
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
This is a photo of the exhaust pipe the thermal wrapping it's a sleeve which slips on as you can see form the photo it's subject to both weather and wind.

I don't like the present appearance and would like to change the sleeve or add an additional wrap of some kind.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

--
Regards, Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »
does anyone know a source for the insulation used on the Aqua Hot exhaust?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 03:41:12 PM »
I looked under several Beavers at the Sound of Music Ralley.  They included a Monterey, a couple of Thunders (including the O'Maily's 06) and a couple of Marquis.  Only one of the Marquis had some insulation on the hydro hot exhaust pipe.  There was nothing to indicate why some would and some wouldn't have it.  

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »
Thanks Bill,

I don't mind the insulation for a safety issue but due to the present appearance I would like to replace it if possible, or maybe just remove it.

Would anyone know what this product is? Or should I contact Monaco?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
Jerry,
I have had much better luck in locating parts like this through Beaver Coach Sales in Bend (800-382-2597) than through Monaco. You may also try Northwest RV Supply in Eugene (541-746-9092), since they buy surplus and discontinued parts from all of the RV manufacturers like Monaco and Country Coach, they may very well have the identical product.

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
Roger Berke, administrator at the AquatHot forum on Yahoo!, replied to my inquiry on your behalf.  He only said the insulation wasn't an AquaHot/Vehicle Systems part, and that it was likely Monaco installed.  I suppose it is even possible that some owners installed their own and/or it was offered at some point by a vendor.  Roger did not answer my question about a possible source for replacement insulation.  :-/

Some possiblilities I found are at http://www.autobarn.net/copper-exhaust-wrap.html, and http://www.boostplanet.com/exhaust_wrap.htm, among many others.  Everyone seems to be offering the same Thermotec material.

Other than replacement, I'd suggest one of two options: use special "aluminized" heat resistant duct tape to wrap the frayed insulation; or simply remove and discard the stuff.   If your coach is only a few years old and the material is that frayed, by replacing it you'll only get the same result in a couple years.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:51:11 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »
Thanks Joel and Gerald for your help, with the links and infomation you have been able to get, I should now be able to do a repair/removal of the old product.

I will let it go for a while then most likely just remove it from the pipe.

Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 06:03:46 PM »
Perhaps a previous owner added that because they boondocked where there was long grass. That would help prevent causing a grass fire. Here in Washington when catalidic converters first came out they had to insulate them on some emergency vehicles because there were a couple of instances where they caused a grass fire.
Marty

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
Hi Marty,

That's pretty much what I guessed but I think this product came off the Assembly line, it's not a bad idea but as Joel and Gerald have found out no one else is adding this Product, I think I may try to just add a wrap of the copper product, this actually may hold up better. I really don't know if it's worth the 75-100 bucks!

I will do some checking around just to see if I can find something or just pull it off I do very little dry camping.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
Jerry-

Here is an another possible source, though I didn't readily find a precise replacement product: http://heatshieldproducts.com/.

Most exhaust insulation products are in the form of wraps, but what we're looking at is in sleeve form.  If you do find it, it will likely be ridicuously expensive to buy the length required.

I suggested earlier the duct tape wrap, and still think it a viable option.  Available at hardware stores where furnace and other ducting is, the product I have is aluminized, made by 3M, and is more heat resistant than regular old duct tape.  You could use it first horizontally along the torn sections, then band every 6 inches or whatever around the pipe to reinforce, gather in, and secure the frayed areas.  

The high heat duct tape would be an inexpensive quick fix that would allow you to keep the original probable purpose of the insulation, fire prevention;  and, when worn down by road hazard over time, it could be readily replaced.  The repair might not look as clean and snazzy as a whole new sleeve, but who but you and your mechanic look under your coach anyway?  Okay, maybe Bill Sprague  ;).  Any other reason you might have been on the ground at the Sound of Music Rally, Bill?

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat