Author Topic: DISH and mobile (satellite) television systems  (Read 18127 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: DISH and mobile (satellite) television systems
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:44:04 AM »
But I am confident the Winegard unit won't "slide in" to the same place easily like the Mogul Eagle 3 will.  That means I would have to find an installer and pay his installation fee which in my research is an additional cost of upwards of $500 plus driving my coach to the installation facility and leaving it.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 04:35:14 AM »
Also Camping World has the Traveler for Dish on sale for $1297 now.....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:12:02 AM »
Hmmmm.... I called Camping World this morning in Troutdale, OR and asked specifically what the cost of installing a Winegard Traveler for DISH would be.  Her estimate was about $2,400 all in... hardware, installation, shop supplies,... including an extended warranty over the manufacturer's warranty - I think an additional two years' warranty valued at $200.  The equipment in the box was quoted at $1,665 or so.

I also called a local RV dealer (Broadmoor RV - 40 miles away in Pasco, WA) who quoted me $1,667 for the Winegard Traveler for DISH in the box plus an estimated $500 for installation.  Broadmoor RV has had trouble with King Domes so does not recommend them, although they can obtain them and will install them.

With the Mogul Eagle 3 the warranty goes as long as I own the equipment.  I think this open-ended warranty from Mogul is offered only with this deal brought about by the search problem due to the EchoStar satellite software change.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:14:08 AM by David T. Richelderfer »

Roy Deeble

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »
Thanks to this great forum I am sure I have avoided hours of frustration trying to access my DirectTV programming on our next trip out with my RFM1000.  I ordered the Eagle III upgrade kit this morning and should receive it within the next couple of weeks.  It is my understanding the mounting will lineup with the existing holes in my roof and wiring will connect directly to the existing wires.  I was told the existing dish and it's support arms will need to be moved to the upgrade kit and the new controller box installed in my coach.  Also, this unit comes with a blue light that I think will need a power source if I want it to function.  Install instructions should be available on a RF Mogal website early next week.  By the way, nothing needs to be returned to them except their filled out warranty form.  I don't think we will beat $1,200 plus one way shipping. I'll let you know if I have problems doing this changeout myself.  Good luck to all affected by this misfortune.

Roy Deeble

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
Thanks to this great forum I am sure I have avoided hours of frustration trying to access my DirectTV programming on our next trip out with my RFM1000.  I ordered the Eagle III upgrade kit this morning and should receive it within the next couple of weeks.  It is my understanding the mounting will lineup with the existing holes in my roof and wiring will connect directly to the existing wires.  I was told the existing dish and it's support arms will need to be moved to the upgrade kit and the new controller box installed in my coach.  Also, this unit comes with a blue light that I think will need a power source if I want it to function.  Install instructions should be available on a RF Mogal website early next week.  By the way, nothing needs to be returned to them except their filled out warranty form.  I don't think we will beat $1,200 plus one way shipping. I'll let you know if I have problems doing this changeout myself.  Good luck to all affected by this misfortune.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
I just saw a mobile truck from Advanced pull up next door so my neighbor must have managed to score a new unit.  He still isn't real happy but at least it's getting fixed.

Roy Deeble

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
Correction, my RF Mogul upgrade for Direct TV will be the Eagle 2, the Eagle 3 is the Dish version.  Don't want confusion to rein.

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 02:55:38 AM »
Saturday I got my new "RF Mogul Eagle 3 for Dish" installed and working.  I had two problems with the installation.  The second problem was I started installing it on Thursday and finally got it installed on Friday, and then it would not find the satellites.  The dish movement worked just fine as to its pointing and searching.  It just could not see the satellites and would not quit searching until its programming told it to stop and give an error message "satellite not found."  VERY FRUSTRATING!!

The first problem I had was with installation.  The prior dish, as you will recall, was a RF Mogul Gen 1.  As it turns out the Gen 1 dish was installed without much clearance, about 1" clearance is all, when in stowed position just in the front of the coach's fore air conditioner cover.  Then, as engineers do, the succeeding generations of, well... of anything right(?)... are designed differently.  Due to the design difference I had to move the new Eagle 3 about 3" or so forward of the position of the old Gen 1 so that the new dish would clear the air conditioner cover when stowed.  I did not want to lift the foot mounting pads from the roof and re-attach them 3" or so forward.  So I made two straps (aluminum 3/16" x 5" x 17") that I connected to the already mounted foot pads.  Then the new Eagle 3 dish is mounted to the two straps about 3 1/2" forward of the old Gen 1 dish placement.

As to the "satellite not found" issue, on Saturday I shut the power off to everything - the DISH receiver and the RF Mogul control box - and went, AGAIN, up on the coach roof to disconnect all the wiring and reconnect it all - 3 connections on the LNBs, 3 connections under the plastic weather cap - and inside the coach at the Mogul control box I disconnected both coax cables - to the DISH receiver and from the LNBs on the coach roof.

It was magic.  Now the whole system works perfectly.  I even stowed the dish again and powered it all down, and restarted it all just as if we had just arrived and got situated at an RV park.  Again, it worked perfectly... finding the 3 satellites - 110, 119 and 129 - in 5 minutes or so.

Now on to my 5 tires I need to replace.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:38:19 PM by David T. Richelderfer »