Author Topic: Power Seats inop  (Read 4631 times)

Dean Johnson

• BAC Member
Power Seats inop
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
My driver and passenger seats are not working. It's been about a month since we used the coach and all of a sudden, they are not working. I have searched the forum and did find some old threads regarding this and they mentioned a breaker in the electrical bay but for the life of me, I cannot find any mention of power seats on the diagram, or can I find any breakers in the bay. It looks like junction boxes, relays, etc. I would have thought they would have installed an automotive style fuse panel in these...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

Dean & Anita
2014 Entegra Anthem
2005 Monterey Cat C-9
1993 Bounder (1st coach!)
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
Past Region 1 Vice President

Mike Groves

Re: Power Seats inop
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »
Simple things first, because this has happened to me.  If you vacuumed your coach as you stored it, then it could simply be that you caught the wires and inadvertently unplugged them.  I realize that it would be highly unlikely to get both but an aggressive cleaner could do it. :)  Just a quick shot at it.

Mike
The following users thanked this post: Dean Johnson

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
Dean,

Not sure what your electrical bay under the drivers seat looks like in 2005. Usually in prior years there were two electrical copper busses that were bolted through with small rectangular silver units having a black plastic base that the studs come through. Those are auto resetting breakers.

The buss on the left is on all the time and the buss on the right is powered up by the ignition key using the coupling solenoid at the bottom of the busses. Because your seats are powered with the ignition off (like mine are but if yours are powered just with ignition on check breakers on the right buss) one would think that the power to them comes from the left buss.

Given the seats are not listed but may be coupled to one of these breakers, you could take a voltmeter and go between ground and each breaker stud that is not tied to the left copper buss which is the common 12V power source to one side of each breaker. If the left side of each breaker not connected to the copper buss is showing 12V then they are all good. If this is the case then either your seat power source is not tied there or you have another wiring issue once the power leaves there.

You would at least rule out that one of these breakers is your issue or not and move on from there. If you find one is not powered at the output side it is likely NAPA would have these in stock.

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
My coach is only a year newer, and has a lot in common with yours, Dean.  On my electrical bay legend, circuit breaker CB10 is for the seats.   It is on the always-hot buss immediately above the left side of the solenoid, and the 4th one up from the bottom (#10 down from the top).   You should have voltage on both sides of that breaker if it's fine.  Check for loose nuts there also.  This all presumes yours is the same layout as mine though, and even on mine there is one breaker that was switched to an open one at the factory so that made for two positions incorrectly printed on my legend.

That aside, Mike is correct - been there, done that from rotating the seats 180 degrees.  The leads under the seat can get caught and connectors strained.  I believe if one seat connector separates it can break the circuit to the other, as they are wired in series rather than off a common main, but don't quote me.  It's easy enough to check under each seat for a separated connector, but on mine it was not a separated one but rather a strained one that had been tweaked enough it no longer would grab its partner solidly;  it looked relatively fine until wiggling the right one allowed intermittent seat operation.  There are multiple wires due to several seat control operations.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Les Brandt

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Turning the seats is what did it to mine. I didn't check if the passenger seat worked at the same time though.

I found a disconnected wire under the drivers seat. Put a new connector on and "Voila".