Author Topic: house batteries  (Read 16577 times)

Ron Johnson

Re: house batteries
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Hi Keith .. I have 6 house batteries [GPL 6CT] rated at 150AH each or 300AH per pair for a total of 900 AH for the battery bank. I considered the 400AH [per pair] GPL L16T but as they are 120 lbs apiece I figured that was too much to play with. Plus these larger batteries have the same footprint but they are 2.7" taller which left no room for contact cleaning.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »
I was at Costco yesterday, and on the way out I dropped into their tire shop and checked out the battery rack.  My Interstate Workhorses are nearly 10 years old and the house bank showed some signs this fall of not being up to their old snuff.  The two chassis bats never failed to be at the ready, regardless of warm engine or not.

They no longer carry Kirkland-branded batteries;  they are all Interstate.  The largest duty chassis start one is 850 cold cranking amps (Group 65) for $90.
 The 6 volt Golf Cart battery is $84.  There is of course a $15 core add-on to that price, but I'd be taking in my old ones to immediately get that credit back off the top.

Recalling the much higher prices I was quoted at various other facilities this fall for similar batteries or Trojans, I know where to go now when the time comes, given there is also factored in a Costco Executive (and/or other) member kickback later.  If I put that in the mix, I calculate my net cost for 2 chassis and 4 house batteries to be $500.46, depending on the exact kickback ultimately given;  but regardless, the net cost will be not much more than that, if not that.

-Joel

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:07:37 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

john brunson

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 12:02:16 AM »
The easiest way to evaluate a flooded lead-acid battery purchase is dollar cost per pound of battery.  There are not but a few manufacturers in the US and they private label for everyone. 

People will passionately argue on this one - but it really is that easy.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
John, I believe you are right.  Johnson controls is one example.  They make batteries for everybody including Interstate.  Not all of Interstate batteries are Johnson.  The 6V are made in Mexico.  This from the Manager of Costco.
Also most products made for rebranding can be made to spec by the seller.  Costco and Walmart often sell items with a model number that is unique to them. 
A battery shop guy told me that Trojan isnt what it was and many of the employees now run Deka.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!