Author Topic: Front Tires (Goodyear)  (Read 7114 times)

Lee Welbanks

Front Tires (Goodyear)
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »
We were gliding down I-15 just south of Cedar City, UT this morning minding our own business and K-Boom - right front tire decides to blow out. It got a little busy for a few seconds until I got slowed down and over to the side of the freeway, thanks to power steering and both hands always on the wheel at all times. I one go back in the trucking days no power steering back then, this one really shook like crazy for a few seconds.

I was planing on replacing the (maypop)(2011) Goodyears when we got back to Az in two weeks but they decided not to wait. Started calling around to find two tires, no luck in Cedar City, called Commercial Tire in St. George and they didn't have any 295/80R 22.5's but he placed me on hold and called GCR in St. George and they had the tires. Called Tina at GCR (Bridgestone) and she got the service truck headed our way with one tire to get me to their shop to get both fronts on and balanced. Took him about a hr to get out there, got tire on and headed to their shop where they changed out the other tire and balanced both.

We put on Bridgestone R250F 295/80R 22.5's, H rated 7830 lbs single @ 120. Many thanks to GCR Tire in St. George, UT (435-673-4163). Put their number in your contacts.

There is a big difference from the GY's very smooth riding straight down the road. At least the alignment doesn't seem to be knocked out, still runs straight.

Have to do some repairs to the step switches, ripped the wires out, both brackets to the fiberglass panels front and back. skinned up a little paint on the outside of the wheel well. and the center chrome hub cap is somewhere out the the bushes.
Got under the step and took out the two bolts so not we have a manual step with a bungee to hold it in when not parked.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:07:03 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Front Tires (Goodyear)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:33:55 AM »
Glad you got it stopped safely. Also good that you found the right place to get you fixed up and back on the road.

I guess we will never know when that moment is going to strike us. Just have to be alert and ready to do the right moves.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:28:53 AM »
Lee,

Glad the force was with you and that you landed safely. Masterful job on your part to mange such a sudden and unexpected event. Glad you are safe. You can never be too careful with front tires on these RVs.

Later Ed

Ron Johnson

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:40:22 PM »
Glad you are OK and had room to maneuver and stop. I think about this every time I'm on 2-lane blacktop with no shoulders.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:05:16 PM »
Lee,

Glad the force was with you and that you landed safely. Masterful job on your part to mange such a sudden and unexpected event. Glad you are safe. You can never be too careful with front tires on these RVs.

Later Ed

Yeah Ed, this one here was no warning just boom, the one I had before in my truck had some warning the steering started to pull just a little. I have always drove with both hands on the wheel no matter what I'm driving. This time if a person only had a one hand on the wheel it would have been out in the pucker bushes.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
Lee, glad you are safe and back on the road!  did you follow the recommendation of flooring it?  Or did you just hang on for dear life and pray.  Not sure if I would have the presence of mind to floor it but I go over it in my mind every time I'm on a bridge with no shoulder looking a couple hundred feet down into the water!  Just wondering? 
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 03:49:36 AM »
Lee, glad you are safe and back on the road!  did you follow the recommendation of flooring it?  Or did you just hang on for dear life and pray.  Not sure if I would have the presence of mind to floor it but I go over it in my mind every time I'm on a bridge with no shoulder looking a couple hundred feet down into the water!  Just wondering? 
Jerry

Jerry, I have the cruise on and didn't do anything except steer it down the road, I think the cruise actually tried to speed it up because when the tire blew it slowed down some. I didn't have time to looks at the speedo as I was a little busy. Once I knew I had a handle on it I applied the brakes and eased over to the side of the frwy. The biggest thing was that it shook real hard at first, thanks to power steering it wasn't to hard to control, the main thing is to not panic and do something dumb like stomp on the binders.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »
I replaced the tires on our coach with Michelins 5 years ago. I decided before we leave next month for the winter I am going to replace them all even though they recommend every 7 years. Your incident just confirmed my plan. I do not want to have a blow out. All the stories I've heard have made me paranoid. I'm thankful you're ok after yours. Safe travels my friend!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:21 PM »
I replaced the tires on our coach with Michelins 5 years ago. I decided before we leave next month for the winter I am going to replace them all even though they recommend every 7 years. Your incident just confirmed my plan. I do not want to have a blow out. All the stories I've heard have made me paranoid. I'm thankful you're ok after yours. Safe travels my friend!
Larry Fisk

Yeah Larry, with the weight we are carrying on our front ends 5 yrs would be about the limit. Mine are all 2011's and like I stated was going to do the fronts when we get back to San Tan in a week. Didn't make it, the Goodyear fronts both look new and were wearing nice and true, I had just checked the pressure that morning and they both were 120, so go figure.