Author Topic: Basement Air Inlet Ducts  (Read 4887 times)

Dick Simonis

Basement Air Inlet Ducts
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:12:29 PM »
I'm getting ready to replace my filter and semi cursing the air inlet hoses that make that job much more difficult than it could be.  Looking closely at that arrangement has piqued my curiosity....why are they even there???  I would appear (at least on the surface) they really are very not very useful.

When parked the inlet is no closer to the ground that the louver so it shouldn't be about pulling in debris.

When driving, they might be a bit helpful to keep out road debris that is kicked up from the front tire but I guess that would be dependent on how much room there is between the slide and the inlet.

Has anyone else thought about removing the ducts???  What did other coaches do that used the SCS units??

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dick

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Basement Air Inlet Ducts
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:09:59 AM »
Hello Dick,
Interesting thought. The tech at Signature RV in Stuart.FL suggested the plate with the two duct  inlets severely restricts inlet airflow . He suggested removing it altogether.
 The circular flexible ducting does prevent road dust and debris from getting sucked in when the coach is moving if you use the air conditioning while traveling.
He suggested I should design and install a flexible duct with the same dimensions as the coil area.
 It would be square and flexible.   Does such a product exist??
          Jeremy

Dick Simonis

Re: Basement Air Inlet Ducts
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
I was wondering about the possibility of flow restriction.  I don't think it would be difficult to fab a seal around the bay for when the slide is in.  Just looking at it with the slide out it only appears there would be a significant gap at the forward end by the gen set.  The seal wouldn't need to be absolute so a piece of rubber might just do it.

There are several AC related items on my to-do list when I get home and this is one of them.  I'm also looking at have a louvered grill fabricated that would fit in the fan discharge cut-out to direct the hot air to the drivers side....kind of like a big version of the AC duct grills.