Author Topic: Inverter Issue  (Read 4973 times)

Randy Perry

Inverter Issue
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »
Changed the coach batteries then put it in storage, pulled it out and seemed to have lost power to all inverter outlets! No status lights on the inverter and the remote is blank. Had this happen 5 or 6 years ago and had to replace the circuit board in the inverter. Unless anyone has any ideas, I guess I need to schedule an appointment with the Xantrex Doctor!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Inverter Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
Randy,
I'm sure you've done this but just in case; verify you've got battery voltage coming into the inverter. May also want to try disconnecting battery voltage, reconnecting and resetting the inverter. If it's bad, the Magnum inverter gets a lot of kudos on the Forum.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Randy Perry

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
Steve, I have battery power to the inverter. Should I disconnect power at the inverter? And how do you reset the inverter?

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
Steve, I have battery power to the inverter. Should I disconnect power at the inverter? And how do you reset the inverter?

When my Xantrex was failing I was able to reset it by disconnecting the batteries, waiting a few minutes and then connecting them. 

I second one of the previous posts; when you get frustrated enough to get rid of it get a Magnum.  I have a pure sine wave MS2800 and it works like a charm with faster switchover times than the Xantrex was capable of which keeps the DirecTV DVR from rebooting.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »
Randy,
The newer units, e.g. Prosine 2 don't have a reset switch that I'm aware of but the older units did. If I remember correctly it was on one end of the unit. Check your Xantrex manual.  If your coach has a house battery disconnect switch, usually located in the battery bay, use it to remove power from the inverter. Otherwise you can disconnect the positive feed line at the battery for 10-20 seconds. Have all lights and a other 12v loads off when doing this to reduce the chance of arcing.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
Well, think I found out what happened. When I had my coach batteries replaced (by a friend that owns an electric scissor lift rental company) his guy swapped the batteries and apparently when he went to terminate the smaller wires, they didn't go back the way they came off! The temperature sensor cable shorted thus smoking the circuit board in the inverter :-(  Since he gave me the batteries for all the business I do with him, I'm thinking I'll be lucky if what I saved on batteries will cover a new circuit board! 

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
Randy
ours was replaced with a Magnum by a PO.  Recently we got odd readings etc. And poor battery usage.  All this turned out to be the Temp sensor circut.  Seems like something that sensative might have a circut protector on it so it wouldnt blow the board.  When we un plugged ours (on a phone jack plug) the readings stabilized.  Replacing the sensor cost $30.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!