Author Topic: Slide and leveler problems  (Read 5062 times)

Ralph Bohn

Slide and leveler problems
« on: August 31, 2015, 02:33:57 AM »
Beaver Contessa 1999, 40ft

We were camping in Savannah, GA and had a pestilence of fire ants coming in the RV from the slide out. I am amazed at the lack of insulation or separation of inside from outside. How can I make a barrier? How can I replace the gaskets? They are torn.

Also, we had our slide checked and "greased" by Camping World and now it will not stay in, it slides out as we travel down the road.

Our leveler alarm beeps, and one leveler will not lower.  Can you explain this using big words? Like you are teaching a pack of boy scouts? I'm not a mechanic by trade; but I'm eager to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Mrs Ralph Bohn
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:58:10 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: slider and leveler problems
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:45:56 AM »
Mrs Bohn,

The slide seals need to be replaced by am RV shop (my opinion is to stay away from Camping World as they normally don't work on large coaches).

I use ant poison around my tires and power/sewer connections when in TX and points east.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:58:47 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: slider and leveler problems
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
Mrs Bohn

Hi and welcome.  We had a 98 Patriot which is not too different from yours.
Camping World doesn't touch our coaches other than fold up chairs and last option in the world. 
There was a recall that required a metal plate be installed under the adjustment for your slide.  Call Beaver Coach Sales parts, Larry will likely be familiar and possibly have one.  Beyond that it sounds like you could use an adjustment on your slide and new seals or at least a repair.

The ants will get in, its what they do.  If not through the slide then in the engine compartment or elsewhere.  The poison sounds reasonable to me.  Just spray the ground around any part that contacts the ground.

Any new coach is frustrating because there is so much to anticipate and learn.  Try to be patient and it will get better.  We have all been there, some of us twice!   :)

best regards
Keith
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:00:47 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Slide and leveler problems
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
If your slide is hydraulic (not electric), you might have a hydraulic reservoir that is low on fluid, or a bad solenoid for opening and closing the in and out valves. One of our slides started creeping out, both on the road, and while just sitting. Turned out to be a bad solenoid. Just something to add to your checklist when trouble shooting.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roland DuBree

Re: Slide and leveler problems
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
A miner hydraulic leak or check valve in slide system will cause the slide to creep out. A none working jack likely is a bad solenoid or loose wire to it prevents fluid going to jack.