Author Topic: Bedroom Slide Drive Assy  (Read 9736 times)

Jerald Cate

Bedroom Slide Drive Assy
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »
I'm looking for any data or parts breakdown for the drive assembly in my bedroom slide.  The drive assy was manufactured by Kwikee/Hydra-Slide and is part number DC1-104-75-B.  The attached photo shows the drive motor end of the assembly.  I've tried contacting Lippert Components (aka Power Gear) however to date they have been no help.

My coach is a 2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington floor plan.  The coach was modified by a previous owner so I don't know if this is an original part or modified.  Any information that could be provided would be appreciated.

Rod Ogle

Re: Bedroom Slide Drive Assy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:19 AM »
Bruce

We have a 2004 Patriot Thunder Lexington and also had some bedroom slide out issues.  Our slide out gear was manufactured by LTM Manufacturing and was called a "quick draw" system.  LTM has gone out of business, however, Lippert bought them out about 2003 and still have some of the common parts.   Allied Recreation Group in Coburg OR  did provide us a parts listing/diagram based on our VIN, however no parts (from LTM/Lippert) were available.  We took our coach to Elite RV in Harrisburg OR and they did the needed repair, sending some of the parts out for fabrication at a local machine shop.  Your slide out gear looks much different from ours suggesting that either yours has been modified or Beaver used different gear between 2003 and 2004. Others on this forum may know if any changes were made between years.  I would suggest you contact Allied Recreation Group, give them your VIN and ask for the slide out gear diagram.  At least you will see if the original gear has been upgraded/changed.   Good Luck. :)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
I have a 2001 Contessa but my slide has a chain driven system. Different set up completely.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerald Cate

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:38:03 AM »
Thanks Rod I'll give Allied Recreation Group  a try maybe they can shed some light on my installation.

Maybe others might have some insight on my dilemma.  The problem I'm having is intermittent drive motor assy operation.  Over the last few months the operation has been more and more sporadic.  Some of the things I've done is disconnect the wiring at the motor and I measure 12.8 VDC, slide switch operation seems solid and consistent.  With power to the motor I measure 10 amps when the motor does not start, after repeated tries of the slide switch it will finally start (sometimes) and I measure 3 amps while the motor is turning.

I've pretty much ruled out the drive assembly motor as my problem.  I removed it from the coach and hooked it up to a battery and it ran every time I tried it, forward or reverse.  I located the armature brake under the end cap and everything looked good every time I operated the motor on the bench, brake released and everything worked fine.

I reinstalled the motor assy in the coach without connecting the coupling to the shaft and it would not run.  Ran a jumper out the window directly to the batteries and it ran every time again.  For some reason the brake must not be releasing when I see the 10 amps, I just need to figure out why.   The specs on the brake indicate it only requires about 0.6 amps to operate. The slide switch and motor wiring is 12 awg so that should be more than adequate for no more current than the motor is drawing when it operates, plus its worked fine the past 3 years.

I've about decided the problem lies with the coach batteries.  They are 4 years old which I would normally think was not very old.  I can't think of anything else to check, just wondering if anyone has run across a problem similar to this.  I'm not anxious to run out and spend $500 - $600 on some batteries if that's not the problem.

Can the coach batteries be load tested while still installed or do they need to be removed and isolated to get an accurate check?

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »
......Can the coach batteries be load tested while still installed or do they need to be removed and isolated to get an accurate check?
If they are wet cell, lead acid batteries, the final test of a battery is with a hydrometer.  I recently replaced two Interstates under warranty.  The determining factor was that the hydrometer reading on one cell in each was well into the red.

I don't know how an AGM type battery is tested.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »
Bruce,

If you are seeing 13.5-14V with the charger on at the battery then the system should work properly. I would measure the voltage at the slide motor connection using a bulb socket and a headlight (or whatever you have that will pull 6-10amps at 12V DC) to get a decent repeatable load on that circuit. Repeat the turn off and on and see if you get a consistent rational voltage level being applied each time. Repeat 100 times to be sure the control circuit is always delivering full voltage. You cannot use the slide motor due to the brake locking issue gives a varying load.

If with the normal voltage drop for the load you get 11.5V using a headlight and it is that result every time then the slide should be functioning repeatedly. If you are not getting a repeatable voltage then I am guessing that there is one of three things happening. You have a switch contact that is getting worn and resistive, or you have a relay between the switch and the motor that can be resistive, or a connection like a crimp connection or whatever is used for wire coupling that is not tight. If a switchable breaker is in the circuit I would throw that on and off a few times to renew the contact on it to be sure that is not a player.

If the voltage is repeatable and rational using the headlight then I would take a hard look at the brake, given it is likely that it is intermittently not releasing, then consider changing the brake. When you tested the brake and the motor it was not coupled and moving the slide in some of your testing. Because the load is less and the voltage drop is less then it could provide inconclusive results. The brake may work every time with a little higher voltage due to the reduced load of not having to do work and move the slide. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Jerald Cate

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 03:03:49 AM »
Ed,
I think this problem has finally been narrowed down to the slide switch and/or connections associated with the switch.  Somewhere in the attached photo is the culprit just don't know what exactly fixed it but after removing the switch disconnecting and connecting the terminal lugs the motor started working consistently again. 

To be on the safe side I'm going to replace the entire switch assembly and mating connector then probably remove the spade lugs and solder the junctions so this problem doesn't rear it's head again.  Thanks for keeping me focused on the obvious even though the measurements I was getting didn't indicate a switch problem.

Bruce

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:52:00 AM »
Bruce,

Glad you found it :-) Perseverance works on these rigs.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 04:15:07 AM »
Jerald,
Had the exact same problem on my 01 Contessa even though it had a different motor assy. I traced the cause to the spade connections between the switch pigtail and the wires to the motor. I fixed it by removing the connectors and soldering the connections. Putting in a new switch didn't help but if you have one, I'd put it in anyway.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp