Author Topic: Vechicle Air Dryers different Brands  (Read 6862 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Vechicle Air Dryers different Brands
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:59:56 AM »
Gentleman, there are several air dryers built and each are have different set up for air dryer filter and purge valve kit. In most cases Bendix, Mentor Wabco, midland. on our earlier models early 1990
you will find what I call the two story Bendix air dryers. I would suggest removing and change to new
type air dryer. Reason cartiage is inside of long housing and getting dryer apart will be lots of fun.
Changing purge valve with kit:
We mentioned using big wrenches on some brands yes will need them, other brand just a phillips
screw driver and last snap ring pliers. Today having many people post there experiences on air
system problem was great and myself have learned great deal from this. Air Systems are a great
on motor homes along with what is called wedge brake shoes, with some of our group, have had
a CDL driver license used in our work ( such as Myself ) many of us have not, but getting into air
system different problems working together again we all learn.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson, Carol Moffett

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Re: Vechicle Air Dryers different Brands
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:03:28 AM »
Hi Dave,

I was just getting ready to order a Haldex Midland Kit Dryer (Part number DQ6032) and saw your post.
Is this the one you are talking about replacing?  And, if so, what would you recommend for a replacement.

It seems to be a kit which goes inside another housing on the rear passenger side of the coach.

Is there a filter on the engine compressor that needs to be changed or cleaned as well?  If so, where is it located?

Appreciate your help!

Best regards,

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 04:21:23 AM »
Michael, what air dryer I mentioned goes back to early 1990, which I call the two story air dryer
because of its long tube like body. they are a bear to change out filter inside and filter is pricy.
Before yor spend your money is your air dryer giving you problems. If it is not popping off at
25 seconds or less you do not have a problem. if you do not run the cold state in winter problems
will not freeze up air dryer. if you are having problems than i would suggest going with the Bendix
AD-1S Everflow real simple to change out with screw on fiter. Air Compressor filter location that
question I just was asked that this eve on another post with Ed Bunker. you will have to look at your
air compressor an follow hose about one inch hose, this could lead you to piping that comes off air
filter and before turbo charger or on the intake manifold toward the back of engine or there may be a
air filter monted to the air compressor itself. the mounting location will depend on your engine S/N
number. I have seen all three types of air filter locations on motorhomes. Cat SIS information gives
info. on all three locations.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
Dave,

Could you tell where my compressor air intake is from my engine serial number (MLB044)?

Additionally, when you look up another series of engine test data, could you send along mine?

Are you going to be in Branson?

Many thanks Dave!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »
Michael, will be coming very soon. Dave

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
Michael Rump, Have information you have asked for I have but will need you complete
engine S/N number    MLB 04    need rest of the number.  there are several different
change in what I can give that will not be correct.  Dave

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
Dave, my mistake, went back to the book instead of my notes.  Engine number is MBL044, C12, 505 hp.

Thanks again!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:46:19 PM »
Michael Rump,  found what pertains to engine S/N MBl04162 , A/R 233-8988 Build Date
2003-02-04,  Test Date 2003-02-10,  Engine 445 HP / increase 505 HP  Test results OK-4996
full load 1800 RPM, High Idle 2120 RPM, Fuel Rate 22.0 GAL/HR,  Adj Boost 26.5 PSI
Fuel Pressure 91 PSI, Oil Pressure  47.4,  TQ CK Fuel Rate 18.2 GAL/HR, TQ CK Adj Boost 24.2,
TQ CK Speed 1200 RPM, TQ CK Torque 1650 LB/ FT,  Low Speed 599 RPM, Low oil Pressure
13.9 PSI, High Speed 2118 RPM, Temp Water Pump Inlet 192 DEG F, Temp Water Pump
Outlet 95 DEG F,  Temp Intake Manifold 109 DEG F, Temp Intake Air 122, Max Altitude 10,000 FT

Inlet Air for Air Compressor  Hose off Intake Manifold.
Dave Atherton REtired Cat Mechanic