Author Topic: Engine/transmission access door in the bedroom floor  (Read 4918 times)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Engine/transmission access door in the bedroom floor
« on: September 13, 2015, 03:00:38 AM »
The access door built into the floor between the bed and wardrobe closet went down last week.  What holds that door up is a series of 1 1/4" wood screws spaced around the access hole holding up a ledge which the door simply sits upon.  The ledge is flat aluminum plate, 3/16" thick by about 2 1/2" wide.  Of the 2 1/2" width, about 1 1/2" is attached under the plywood floor.  The other 1" or so of the aluminum plate creates a ledge around the perimeter of the square-ish hole in the floor and supports the access door.  The floor and access door generally appear to be two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood laminated to form a nice, substantial 1 1/2" thick floor.

The problem was the cheap wood screws which were installed to hold the flat aluminum piece up to the bottom of the stationary plywood floor.  The screws are about 1 1/4" long and with all the vibration, moisture and dirt rising up from wet roads, and walking on by we folks in the bedroom, they just worked loose and many had fallen out.  Finally, the access door gave way on two of the four sides and "caved" in about 1/2".

My fix was to purchase a right-angle adaptor for my cordless drill and to drill 5/16" holes up through the aluminum plate and laminated floor.  Then I placed 1/4" carriage bolts down through the floor and through the plate where I put a flat washer, a lock washer and a nut.  The carpet was lifted from the floor just far enough back so that I could get the carriage bolts into the holes without putting holes in the carpet.  Thus, the carriage bolt heads are concealed under the carpet and cannot be seen or felt underfoot.

After the bolts were all in, the access door replaced and I was satisfied with the results, I then placed adhesive under the carpet I lifted, let it dry for 24 hours, and cleaned the whole bedroom carpet with the shampooer I use in my house and rentals.  The access door is now SUBSTANTALLY better supported and should last for the life of the coach.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Carol Moffett

Lee Welbanks

Re: Engine/transmission access door in the bedroom floor
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:26:28 AM »
David,

For almost flush mounted bolts I've used what they call Elevator bolts, get them from McMaster Carr. Some have cleats to grab wood and others for square like a carriage bolt.

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:10 AM »
Thank you for the information.  Mine just dropped about the same distance in one corner and I plan to get under from the engine side next week when it cools down around here and take a look.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
"... get under from the engine side...?"  I guess I do not understand what that means.  I did all the work while kneeling on the bedroom floor and reaching down through the hole that the access door covers.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »
I have a rear radiator and therefore, I can stand up beside my engine on both sides if I slide under the rear.  I park beside my house on a cement driveway with a slope to the rear of it and it allows more room under the motorhome in the rear.