Author Topic: Care free patio awning  (Read 4740 times)

Dale Malquist

Care free patio awning
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »
The awning motor shaft stripped in a bad wind. I finally had to cut the awning off as it was whipping in and out. Got new motor and after market awning cloth. It starts to retract like before but only goes up part way without manual help. Care Free no help.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Care free patio awning
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
Welcome to Careless' world of aggravated owners, Dale.  Mine stripped out too, and that allowed it to open on Canada 1 in the Rockies at 60mph.  As you found out, you can't just replace the bad part;  they make you get an entire motor assembly.  Steel drive shafts into aluminum sleeves never made sense to me.  Eventually the softer metal wears, allowing the thing to freely spin, with nothing else integral to keep the awning from unrolling upon the first good bump in the highway.

BCS replaced the motor assembly eventually, after nobody at Careless could give a darn.  But I don't trust the design, and am nervous to use the awning at all now for fear of unknowingly wearing down the gear again, and it suddenly unrolling on the road and this time hitting another vehicle or something on our right.  Customers of Careless shouldn't have to feel that way or go through that.  We got darned lucky last time.  As it was the sound was like a shotgun blast next to the copilot, scaring the heck out of us both.

As I recall there was a recent discussion here re. awnings, Girard I think;  seems there was mention of a fellow in California that's good with fixing these often troublesome critters, if that's feasible, and someone here can refresh info.

If you've got an imperceptibly bent arm or arms that need cleaning and some lube, or something interfering with one of the roller ends, that could make the motor stress.  How's your battery strength?  Did they give you the right motor for the size of awning?  Are the awning's wire connections making complete contact and carrying full current?

The one thing I'd watch is that the shaft isn't slipping, reaming the metal out again.

-Joel
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:56:36 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Malquist

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 05:46:40 PM »
Ours came loose on the north side of Monida Pass. I'll bet people are still laughing about the guy on his motor home roof with his pants falling down around his knees.
I had a look at the new motor assembly and can see why they will not replace the stripped part. Obviously we are not the first to experience the problem as the new one is made to correct that issue. As the awning canvas was wildly whipping the arms up against the coach until I got the canvas cut off I think it might be tweaked. Good thing I had just sharpened my pocket knife.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:25:30 AM »
There may be one or more other relevant threads, but on at least one of them that I lazily haven't fully searched for I promised further information regarding a fix when it came available.

For those with Carefree Eclipse main awnings and who are concerned, or not aware of the issue, the source has advised me as per his email below that the device is now on the market. ;)

-Joel

Joel:  Yes, the lock for your Eclipse awning is available again.  If you will call 1-712-322-7008 to provide a credit card number and a mailing address for the lock, we can ship it to you immediately.  The cost will be $55.95 plus $7.00 S &H. 

I apologize for the delay.  Health problems on this end have caused a slow down with everything,

but things are looking better.   

Wilson G. Forbes, President
Loess Hills Innovations Inc
1804 State Orchard Road
Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Email: Goldenwgf@aol.com
Cell: 1-712-310-7188

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:33:59 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Don and Kathy DuCharme

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »
Dale, we had the same problem. Were able to get a new motor shaft which was flat on two sides rather than just one as the original and of course the corresponding end cap for the awning.  I believe at one time Carefree offered the fix at no cost, but cannot verify that.  A distributor at one of the FMCA rallies helped us.  Unfortunately, I do not remember name of the distributor.  As for the failure to retract fully without assistance, check the voltage at the motor when in retract mode.  Many have had a problem with low voltage which required supplying a better voltage source to the control module located in the front part of the magazine rack.  Good luck!
Don
07 Contessa
C9;400HP