Author Topic: Hydro Hot  (Read 5174 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Hydro Hot
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
Arrived at Lazy Days Fl. today around 3PM.  Reset the HH with my home made tooth pick as usual after the coach has been in the shop.  The diesel light comes on, the electric light does not.  It's 7PM and the water is hot, Diesel has not started.  I'm not sure if residual heat from the drive is still hot enough to keep water hot, if elec element is working and light is bad or what.  What has been your experience with residual engine heat?  Will it heat water very hot almost 4 hours later?  If no, then maybe elec element is working and light is bad.  If yes then why isn't light working anyway?  If the element is not working, is there a breaker somewhere other than in the back closet?  I found it and it is not tripped.  Any thoughts why just the elec light isn't working and how can I isolate it?  Thanks in advance.
Jerry  (Dave, Google isn't helping this time!)
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Hydro Hot
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:44:42 AM »
You should be able to tell from the power demand (on your Aladdin?) if the HH electric heating element is working.

Also, after four hours your engine should have retained considerable heat.  With your engine pre-heat pump switched on (assuming you have it), some of that engine heat would be brought to the HH and would warm the water.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:50:41 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:36:53 AM »
Jerry,

The little red lights on the switch itself normally burn out.  Mine burned out a long time ago.  So they don't mean much.

The engine is one of the three ways that the fluid in the HydroHot can be heated to around 180.  That is far too hot for tap water. The HydroHot system will draw heat from that fluid to make "hot" water at about 130.  Neither the electric or diesel will fire until the fluid gets down to where it can't make 130 degree water. 

It is possible that, if you didn't use any hot water, the insulation would keep the fluid above 130 far enough that additioal heat from the electric or diesel is not needed. 

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
Looks like Bill may be right.  I got up this morning and water slowly got warm and the Diesel burner fired up and ran.  Still not 100% sure the element is working or not but we have hot water so I'm happy.  I guess my paranoia struck again.
Thanks all.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »
I do not know which unit you have, but this is a link to unit I have.  I have referenced it many times for information.  You should get the link to your unit and keep it handy.

http://www.aquahot.com/esource/ecom/esource/staticpages/documents/AHE-100-02S%20Service%20Manual%20Rev.%20B%209-27-2011.pdf
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
Looks like Bill may be right.  I got up this morning and water slowly got warm and the Diesel burner fired up and ran.  Still not 100% sure the element is working or not but we have hot water so I'm happy.  I guess my paranoia struck again.
Thanks all.
Jerry
If is is working right, the hot water performance should be just like a stick house.  In other words, if you leave the electric on all night, there should be enough regular hot water for about a 5 minute shower.  If you turn the diesel on you can take an endless shower.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Yes it's all working except for the light.  I turned the diesel off last night.  This morning I have hot water after about 10 seconds or so.  Thanks for the help.  Now to find the lighted switch!
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Jerry, that would be the first place I would look. Being back in FL, could it be some of the
people you have chased many years  may have possible ( removed the light switch ).
Dave