Author Topic: Shurflo Water pump pulses once every 3-4 minutes  (Read 11838 times)

Larry and Heidi Lee

Shurflo Water pump pulses once every 3-4 minutes
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
My Beaver 05 Monterey interior water pump Shurflo Model 2088 554-144 3.5GPM has an intermittent "cycle" every 3-4 minutes. It is just a single pulse as if it is re-pressurizing the system. I closed each valve at the magna block outside and isolated every area of the coach to where nothing can receive water and the pump still "cycles" one time and stops. I also turned every faucet on to try and see if that would help but no change. Turned off ice maker supply too with same result. I also checked everywhere possible and no moisture found anywhere. I did find one small single drop of water under the water pump but running my hand and fingers around the pumphead and lines it comes up dry.  Any ideas?  :-/

Gerald Farris

Re: Shurflo Water pump pulses once every 3-4 minutes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Larry,
You have a leak somewhere. It could be in the line between the pump and the magna-block manifold, or it could be the pump itself is leaking back to the tank.

There is also a possibility of a bad (leaking) pump pressure switch. I had a pump pressure switch fail and cause a similar condition, but it would run much longer when it turned on and produce higher water pressure at the facet if opened when it had been running.

If you replace the pump, I would recommend changing to a variable speed pump instead of the type of pump that you have now. A variable speed pump will produce a higher volume of water (GPM) and it will also end the pressure surges that you get with lower flow rates like when you are showering.

Gerald
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:34:44 PM by 235 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
Larry-

I'm no expert, but been there, done that.  I agree with Gerald, and profer that it is most likely at the pump, and is a very minor leak at this time.  The fact that it only burps once is an interesting symptom that points to Gerald's pressure switch theory.  It can be particularly exasperating to find a drop of liquid, but everything it could possibly have come from is perfectly dry.  I might try dragging a tissue or small piece of light colored paper around pump hose fittings to ferret out moisture and the possible leak source, not readily detected with your fingers alone.  That drop you found came from someplace.  Also look at the line where it comes into the manifold, and from the tank, as Gerald indicated.

Otherwise it's likely an internal seal in the pump, or a small crack in the pump body, which in either case I'd just replace the pump.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:21:05 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
To get information on the new Shurflo REVOLUTION pump go to my posting on May 8 . I am very happy with this pump. You can also read about it on the Shurflo website. Good luck.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
The REVOLUTION PUMP is on sale right now at Camping World for
$69.99 if you belong to CW.

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
After three days of testing the symptoms are still the same. I have still not found a drop of moisture anywhere so I'm suspecting the pump as you guys do. Gerald, you  recommend a higher GPM but will I notice an increase in water useage since I do dry camp? Also what model pump do you recommend? I like the price of the revolution pump thanks George, Joel and Leah.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:51:23 AM »
Larry,
I recommended a variable speed water pump because they give a more constant water pressure similar to a residential water supply instead of the surges in pressure when a conventional pump cuts on and off.

The question about using more water when you are dry camped, there may be a little more usage if you use a higher pressure pump like the 65 PSI (cutoff) Aquajet, but very little. The 40 PSI (cutoff) Flojet would use no more water. Variable speed pumps are also normally much quieter than conventional pumps because they normally only run at about half speed.

The downside to a variable speed pump is the cost. They cost twice as much as a conventional pump. They also have a higher amp draw to achieve the higher volume, so you need to be sure that the wiring for the pump is adequate. The Shurflo variable speed pump is also larger in size, so if it is installed, you need to make sure that you have the room for it before purchasing it. You can also solve the problem of pressure surges by installing a captive air surge tank after the pump to cushion the surges.  

I can not recommend a specific pump. That will depend upon the performance characteristics that you want. They come with pressures up to 65 PSI and volume ratings from 3.5 GPM to 5.7 GPM. I have a variable speed pump and it provides more consistent water flow than most campgrounds, so I normally fill my tank and run on my pump most of the time. If you are happy with the pump characteristics that you have, save the money and buy another conventional pump.

You may also want to consider installing an inline check valve to prevent water from leaking back through the pump instead of replacing it if that is the only problem with it.

Gerald  

Larry and Heidi Lee

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:11:20 AM »
I decided to install the 3.0 GPM Revolution which is a direct replacement for my existing Shurflo 2088. It resolved my problem and it is surprisingly quiet with no cycling like my old pump. One of the reasons I chose this pump is because it physically fits in the same exact spot as my old pump and all the hookups line up perfectly. You will need to pre-drill two new holes for the base mount. I looked at the other pumps but they wouldnt fit under my access cover. The pump is not on sale at the Camping World in La Mirada CA store-price was $99.99 without tax. Thanks for everyones help!  :)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:52:58 AM »
Hi Gerald
I had a couple of questions regarding your above post.

1) Wiring:  The original 2088 Surflo we have is rated at 4 amp draw according to the label, even the replacement 2088 is 7 amp and the revolution is 7.5 amp.  Our pump wiring seems adequate but is there a test to be sure before buying  a pump that requires more amps?  

2) Why do you suppose the newer 2088 requires almost twice the amperage of the 1997 2088?  Seems that when dry camping and using the pump, a higher power draw is not desireable?

3)  The 2088 has a built in check valve.  The revolution 4008 omits this in the specs. on the shurflo site.  Does this mean a seperate check valve is needed?

4)  What value is there for the surge tank and what about a low point drain for that?

Thanks for your opinion and time
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
We had the same problem and I discovered that I had left the fresh tank fill pump on accidently
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Bill Sprague

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:02 AM »
Quote from: Keith Moffett
Hi Gerald
I had a couple of questions regarding your above post.

1) Wiring:  The original 2088 Surflo we have is rated at 4 amp draw according to the label, even the replacement 2088 is 7 amp and the revolution is 7.5 amp.  Our pump wiring seems adequate but is there a test to be sure before buying  a pump that requires more amps?  

2) Why do you suppose the newer 2088 requires almost twice the amperage of the 1997 2088?  Seems that when dry camping and using the pump, a higher power draw is not desireable?

3)  The 2088 has a built in check valve.  The revolution 4008 omits this in the specs. on the shurflo site.  Does this mean a seperate check valve is needed?

4)  What value is there for the surge tank and what about a low point drain for that?

Thanks for your opinion and time
Keith
Keith,

I'm not Gerald, but maybe I can help.

1) Wiring:  16 gauge wire can handle somewhere around 13 amps.  18 gauge is 10 amps.  So, check the wire gauge and look for the circuit breaker.  7.5 amps should hardly be a problem, unless the fuse is around 7.5.  My fuse is 15 amps.  So, the "test" would be to look at the wire and fuse.

2) Newer pumps were made because people wanted more "house like" showers with steady flow, better pressure and lower noise.  The extra draw is minimal when dry camping.  You can only pump up to a 100 gallons and our big gensets can make up for the extra juice used quickly.    

3)  I don't know for sure, but it couldn't be an RV pump if it didn't have have a check valve to hold pressure.

4)  I don't have a surge tank and neither did my two trailers and boat.  With older, cheaper pumps the water "surged" when the faucet was partially open.  Besides that, a surge tank does not fill with water.  They have air in them to cushion the surges.  If mounted right side up, they would drain.   Newer, variable speed pumps adjust to pressure needs without needing a surge tank.

Regarding low point drains....  I'm not sure they are really useful in a Aqua/HydroHot equipped motorhome.   They will not be effective at getting much water out of a 40 foot motorhome with water lines running in random directions.   Draining water will have little use for winterizing.  The ONLY way to safely winterize a Aqua/HydroHot is with about 4 or 5 gallons of the pink RV antifreeze.

Bill Sprague

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
Thanks Bill, that gives me in idea where to start.
I dont believe that the 'revolution' is variable speed though it is probably good enough for our needs.  
What pump are you using?

I guess we are lucky here as I have drained the system in the plumbing bay and at the hot water  each year but never add the antifreeze.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:49 AM »
Quote from: Keith Moffett
Thanks Bill, that gives me in idea where to start.
I dont believe that the 'revolution' is variable speed though it is probably good enough for our needs.  
What pump are you using?

I guess we are lucky here as I have drained the system in the plumbing bay and at the hot water  each year but never add the antifreeze.

Keith
If the coils in the Hydro/Aqua freeze, it will be very expensive.  I'll check the part number on my new pump and let you know.

Bill Sprague