Author Topic: Hurricane System & LED Third Brake Lights  (Read 11553 times)

David Parham

Hurricane System & LED Third Brake Lights
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
I have a new to me 2000 Patriot which I love. However, I am looking for any "expert" with the Hurricane Heating System. It seems that my circulating pump is running constantly even though there is no demand for hot water or heat. Is that normal???

I also have two LED third brake lights which need to be replaced. I have been told that they are no longer in production. The lights are stamped with "Just  Top  JS-199". I have seen the same lights on newer coaches and would like to know if anyone knows if a supply exists somewhere.

Gerald Farris

Re: Hurricane System & LED Third Brake Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
On your Hurricane Heater, check the switches in the driver's area for a switch that has been left on that is marked Coach Heat or something similar to that. That switch turns the circulation pump on to provide heat from the engine to heat the coach using the wall thermostats when driving with the Hurricane turned off.

If your coach has had a Comfort Hot system added to it, the relay that turns on the circulation pump may be defective, or you could have a bad control board.

I have a copy of the Technician Training Tape on how to work on a Hurricane Heating System if you are interested in learning about repairing it yourself. It is fairly easy to maintain, but like all hydronic heating systems, it does require some maintenance.

As for the stop lights, I have had much better luck in locating parts like this through Beaver Coach Sales in Bend (800-382-2597) than through Monaco. You may also try Northwest RV Supply in Eugene (541-746-9092), since they buy surplus and discontinued parts from all of the RV manufacturers like Monaco and Country Coach, they may very well have the identical product.

Gerald

David Parham

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:29:34 AM »
Gerald,

Thanks so much for your response. I would be very interested in seeing that training tape. Just let me know what I need to do. Also, thanks for the phone numbers I will give that a try next week.

David Parham

Randy Perry

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
I have a 2000 Patriot as well and called "Beaver Coach Sales" and Larry got me hooked up with a few "discontinued items" including the LED brake light bar!!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
Hello David, perhaps I can add a thing or two here.
Our 98 Pat. has the Hurricane and does not have the "Comfort hot" add on mentioned by Gerald.  I dont think much changed between '98 and 2000.
On ours the switch Gerald refers to is actualy in the Kitchen.  There are three 12 volt style rocker switches in our kitchen just below the counter edge, one will do the job for you.
Will you be at the Redmond rally?  Though they are not listed in the FMCA events, Hurricane (aka. ITR intl.) folks will be there to answere your questions.

Thanks for asking about the LED light bar as I need one too.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David Parham

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Thanks Larry & Keith, I will give Larry a call this week. I don't think I have the "Comfort Hot" addition and unfortunately will not be able to be in Redmond. The only switches that I have are the remote on/off switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet and the engine preheat switch on the dash. Those are the only two that seem to play a role in the heat system. I am hopeful that the video that Gerald has may have some answers.

Thanks everyone. I love this forum.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 03:30:12 AM »
Since both break light bars are out, be sure they are receiving a signal before replacing them.

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »
David
Most of us in motorhomes become handy enough to work on some things.  Not all have started out that way.  
If you review the video from Gerald and still have questions about the Hurricane, here is the info.
www.itrheat.com
360-993-4402 (Ken)

If you are in the mid west the have opened  a facility and can refer you from the above phone.  These are the manufacturer reps in USA for the Canadian company
International Thermal Research inc.

According to the previous owners of our coach, the Hurricane never worked.  Steve and Ken went way out of their way to correct problems in the original installation.  Works great now!

Best of luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Ron Johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
I have a shotoff switch for the Chassis batteries in the battery compartment. When I switch it to the 'off' position my Hurricane pump comes on and will not go off even when I turn the power switch to the Control Board off. I have not troubleshooted this yet but if you have a Cutoff switch like mine and used it this may be the problem.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
The manufacturer of Hurricane suggests using the "Coach" power shutoff but not the complete battery disconnect in the battery compartment because it messes with the circut boards.
Additionaly, the install on many included an echaust reaching across the coach that was too long by double.  It got blocked up and burned out our circut boards.  The pump is regulated through the circut board.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:25:40 PM »
Hi Gerald,
We will be at Harrisburg and Redmond, and I was wondering what do we need to do to get a copy of that training tape? Or who do we need to get if from?
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »
Just see me and I will give you a copy that has been transferred to DVD. I will be at both rallies.

Gerald  

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
[size=14][face=Sans-Serif]Hi Guys, Here is a youtube video of the Hurricane System.  I don't know if it's the same one that Gerald has but it really helped me out working on mine.  It runs great now after a new compressor, new fuel pump, new nozzle and I rebuilt the regulator.  That's about everything you can replace.  Everything else is stainless steel.  Good Luck, Mike

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6826998102493529581#[/face][/size]

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
sounds like the bypass jumper is in place like my 99 marquis was when i bought it last year.
The folks a ITR helped me diagnos the problem on the phone an within thirty minutes it was repaired and still works well.

I did have to replace the board in mine but it was very simple and like i said the folks at ITR are great!!!

Good Luck