Author Topic: Under Bed Access and Storage  (Read 17787 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Under Bed Access and Storage
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
               Greetings Fellow Handymen and project lovers,

We have 2 rescue kittys that we have had a while and travel with us. The litter box is always a challange as many of you are aware. We have tried all the obvious locations: shower, under dinette table ect.
        Another issue that bugs me is getting the bed platform up and secured so I can access the engine hatch, or blow out the dust of the hurricane heat exchanger. Access also to the slide-out motor and manual over-ride is also something to consider. Well I finally copied the engineering from American Coach and installed 2-150lb gas props on the structure that moves in and out that now makes it easy to raise the bed (even my wife can do it). This allows me to remove the 2 drawers that we never use and the track structure. Now we have room for a litter box under the bed. I am going to line it with Lino or something that is easy to clean. It also needs a partition to keep kitty out of the slide motor. Hardware cost is about $70.00 and the project took about 3 hours so far. Please give me some feed back it would be appreciated because I am not done. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Richard McQuillan

• BAC Member
Re: Under Bed Access and Storage
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:28:34 AM »
What length struts did you use (or what mfg & part number)? Also, from the pictures it appears that the extended struts are very near vertical. Does that make them difficult to close? It's a great idea to put the struts on the bed and I've always wondered why Beaver didn't do it to beging with.
Dick McQuillan
2004 38' Monterey Huntington

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:48:09 AM »
And here I thought I had the only Beaver coach without bed supports!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
          Hi Rich,

The hardware used is AP Products. The struts are 26" X 150lb capacity. The bed platform mounts are #010-188 and the frame mounts are 010-078. The angle iron is 1 1/2 X 1/8" that the bottom mounts attach to.
  If you are interested, I can send you a drawing with all the dimensions so you can skip the geometry hassle.
I would have prefered props that were 24" but could not find them. Fortunately the way it turned out, you can lift the bed and leave it at what ever angle is convenient for you. If your mattress was replaced with an air mattress like a "sleep number" then 150psi props are way too strong. Guessing maybe 120 or 100psi.
      Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Neal E Weinmann

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
Fred,

You are a man after my own heart. After all these years it looks like you came along and solved this puzzle. I have bolted an oak strut with a pin in it to hold up the bed, much like a car hood support but there is no gas assist (except possibly my own from the hefty lifting). I had pondered this gas strut approach but gave up given the slide mechanicals had restricted the available space to a great extent.

It may be a help to post some dimensions of your mounting locations along with the strut specs. Good job Fred!

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Mike Groves

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:59:01 PM »
Our '99 Marquis (without slide) has the struts but I've not taken the time to check their weight supported number and get them replaced.  So Beaver thought of it, but for some reason didn't include them on the slide models?  I just assumed everyone had them.  Mine definitely need replacing and we've added a memory foam mattress which adds more weight to the bed.  Right now I have to heave more than I'd like before the existing struts help even a little, but then I can hold the bed up while I put the oak plank in to hold it up.  It is scary however to go about putting in anti-freeze all the while hoping the oak plank holds (our reservoir is located to the right side of this are rather than being accessible from the engine hatch).  Would be much nicer to replace the struts.  I'll have to do that now that Fred has reminded me.

Mike
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray, Fred Brooks

David Handley

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
Fred,

Would love to have the drawing if you can manage it.

Thanks,

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:11:06 AM »
       Hi Guys,  Here are the pics and measurements for the installation. Please keep in mind this a 2000 Marquis built in april of 2000. The angle iron I started with was 1/8' thick by 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 by 10" long for engineering purposes. Final product could be reduced to 6" long. These pics show #8 screws to hold things for engineering purposes. I recommend that after you have confirmed the installation, replace the #8 screws with 1/4 X 20 bolts, locks and nuts.
    1- Remove the matress and stow in the hallway
    2- Raise the platform to almost verticle and prop in place securely. (I used a 2 X 4 and screwed it in place for safety reasons.
    3- Cut and paint the angle iron.
    4- Install the strut mounting brackets to the angle iron and bed platform using #8 X 3/4 sheet metal screws
    5- Cut and paint 1" X 4" long X 1/8" flatstock to mount with 2-sided tape under the angle iron in the area identified as "A" (this is to fill the off-set of the factory assembly. DONOT put screws in this area, it's a track channel for a bearing.
    6- Remove the steel rollers and remount inward 2" for clearance of the platform strut mounts (bed retracted)
    7- Install struts, close platform and test operation (difficult without weight o mattress)
    8- If all is well, replace # 8 screws one at a time with 1/4 X 20 X 3/4" bolts, locks & nuts.

About a 4 hour project once you have the hardware, have fun and enjoy the results. Fred

Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
The following users thanked this post: Bill Borden, LaMonte Monnell

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Hi Fred,

We have decided to install the struts on our bed for easier access. 

You mentioned that you had to move the rollers a couple of inches for clearance.  I probably missed it in your pictures.  Could you help me understand that part of the job?

And, it looks like you used pop rivets in some areas.  Is that necessary?

Thank you for doing the engineering and sharing.

Best to you!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
        Hi Mike,

The rollers are mounted at the foot of the bed on the end of the pedestal and support the platform as it moves in and out when extending or retracting the slide room. As the room retracts, just before reaching the end the strut mounting brackets that are mounted to the platform will hit the rollers. I think I moved them inward about 2" but you can plot that out easy enough using a tape measure. Fun project if you take your time. I put "peel and stick" tiles down so the litter box clean up is easy. Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 01:29:25 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for the tap back.  I know what needs to be done now.  We are looking forward to being able to lift the bed and not having to hold it up.

Travel safe!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »
Fred, I just wanted to thank you for all the bed support pictures and directions. They were spot on in every detail.

The wife helped with supporting the bed up while I did the drilling and mounting of the supports. Everything lined up correctly and with the slide in the support rods had about a 1/2" clearance from the rollers.

It is so nice to raise the sleep number and frame up easily for engine cover raising. Now I can raise it by myself and it holds itself up.

Thanks again....

also we did get the DP out for nine days for Christmas after getting it back from CAT after 3 months. Everything is working as it should be. I did have to replace the two start batteries though as they let them go without charging them.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
Hi Fred Thank you, Both my wife and cat will be very happy!.  I am assuming it is a queen bed? For others I have found Orr & Orr a good source for gas struts. http://truck-hardware.orrorr.com/category/gas-springs?

Thanks Jim
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Scott Ramsey

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »
HI Fred,
Could you please send the tech drawings etc to sramsey@nmsu.edu
Thanks in advance!
Scott Ramsey
2003 Monterey Seacliff 38

Doug Allman

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
For all of you that have storage under the bed ours is now full. We installed in floor heat using the Aqua Hot for the hot water.
The area under the bed is used for the totally separate controls for the infloor heat.
The pump for this zone from the Aqua Hot we installed in an outside compartment which is located under the refrigerator. The pump is the only thing that generates noise or vibration so we elected to keep it out of the bedroom.

It is so very nice to put your feet down on a warm floor, even in Yuma in Jan and Feb mornings.

Took a sizeable amount of work, DAYS, to get pex tube grooves in the osb subfloor and also into the cork flooring we have installed throughout the coach.

Even with all the pex under the bed and the copper pipes to controls the bedroom is very comfortable, not as hot as I would have expected it to become with all the hot water flowing under the bed.

The 1/4" pex tubing routed to fit 1/2 in the osb floor and 1/2 to fit up into the cork flooring does a very nice job. A LOT of work on your belly and knees but we now smile cause our feet are warm.

Used a remote wireless thermostat so we can set it anywhere it keeps the whole coach the same warm temperature.