Author Topic: Wintering in Florida-thoughts & ideas please  (Read 10680 times)

Tom Fisher

Wintering in Florida-thoughts & ideas please
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
Hi folks.  We have spent the last two winters in Casa Grande, AZ and we are thinking we would like to tour Florida this winter and see some different sites. That is the real reason we bought the RV, and not to go to the same place all the  time. We are planning on that later, but not now. The question, can you find reasonably priced spaces in Florida? How is the winter weather there? I know these are very general questions, but thought I would start here.
Thank you
Tom
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:25:09 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Winter in Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:05:32 AM »
Reasonable prices can be found. The farther South you go the more expensive it gets. Many campgrounds fill up early for the winter season. Some will stay full till March when the snowbirds head back North. The sooner you decide it is best to get reservations in. They are filling fast.

I know the State Parks only allow 2 weeks(14days) stays at a time.

They have been building lots of new coach resorts all over Florida the last few years. These seem quite pricey to me. Fort Myers is a place with many RV resorts being built. They have lots for rent sometimes, at least till they are sold.

Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River is a nice place to stay. Manatee areas and springs are close by. Also beaches are not too far.

Chassa Oaks in Homosassa, Fl. on the west coast is a smaller RV park that has some winter rentals possibly available yet.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Bill Schneider

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »
Tom,
We have traveled to FL in the winter for seven years. You will find FL to be more expensive than AZ. How much, depends on what you want
Northern FL (the Panhandle) is less expensive in the fall and the weather is usually good. The opposite is true in the spring. Prices go up considerably. In general, if you stay along the coast (Gulf or Atlantic) the costs are higher. If you are willing to go inland, they tend to be more reasonable throughout the winter.
Starting in Dec, if you want warm weather, you want to start moving south (below Tampa/Orlando). The weather in northern FL gets cold. If you are willing to put up with some cool days and stay north, prices are usually reasonable (less than $800/month.)
Starting in Jan, prices rise considerably in southern FL. This is their high season. Monthly rates can be in the high teens or more. If you decide to go farther south to the keys, be prepared to pay $2500 plus per month if you can find a place. I didn't mention the state parks because they fill up quickly during the season and are already booked by now.
Summarizing, if you stay in northern FL, you will find the prices aren't that much higher than Casa Grande. Fall and spring weather is pleasant, but the winter months are cold (some freezing days and nights), If you follow the sun to southern FL prices go up significantly.
Crystal River was mentioned in a previous post. This location is fairly reasonable in pricing and has  mostly decent weather throughout the winter
 A lot depends on what you want from FL. If you want the beaches and warm weather, you will pay a premium for it. If you just want warm weather and a tropical environment, go inland and the prices are less.
My wife and I are beach people and we have done both the Gulf and Atlantic sides. We much prefer the Gulf and are willing to pay the premium to be there.
Go to (rvparkreviews.com) and check out the parks in the areas that you want to visit and you will get a feel for what the parks charge at the times you would visit. From Pensacola to Key West, it is almost 900 miles, so there is a lot to explore.
My wife and I like to live by this saying when we are in FL
"May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes"
Enjoy your travels,
Bill

Tom Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
Thank you both for the info. We greatly appreciate it and are going to check things out that you mentioned.
Tom

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Wintering in Florida-thoughts & ideas please
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »
I feel bad not answering because I live in the Orlando area!  I have no feel for the monthly prices here because...well I live here.  Weather is great from Orlando South.  I rarely wear a jacket or even long sleeves in the Winter.  The coldest time is late January and early February and it does get into the 30s at night and sometimes in the daytime.  Having grown up in upstate NY I am in heaven here.  I hope you enjoy your time here this winter.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
Tom
I will echo what Bill said about Florida.We have travelled around Florida for the past 3 years and we finally settled in the Titusville area on the East Coast.We bought a lot last March and we will be heading down there early this fall to enjoy the entire winter.
Yes it is a little cool sometimes in Jan and Feb but I compared the temps with Punta Gorda and Jupiter where we also stayed and are farther south and we were within 5 degrees most of the time. Still a lot warmer than Indiana!

The farther south you go the more expensive and to get near the water or beach you will pay dearly!!

There is a nice resort near Port Charlotte called Myakka Motorcaoch that may not be full yet but it is kind of pricey.And we visited a brand new resort opening up near Punta Gorda named Thornton Motorcoach that is offering some free nights to visiters.These resorts both have web sites you can Google.

There are a multitude of nice RV parks in the interior of Florida that are very reasonable but they fill up fast so better get a reservation.We noticed we were having a problem just last year and that is one reason we bought our lot as we were convinced it is going to just get busier with all the "baby boomers".

If you find a place and have specific questions please give me a PM---we may have already been there or know someone who has.

john brunson

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
Don't dismiss the panhandle! We are currently at St. Andrews SP in Panama City. Weather is awesome.  Highly recommend topsail sp for a long stay

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 09:59:51 PM »
I feel bad not answering because I live in the Orlando area!  I have no feel for the monthly prices here because...well I live here.  Weather is great from Orlando South.  I rarely wear a jacket or even long sleeves in the Winter.  The coldest time is late January and early February and it does get into the 30s at night and sometimes in the daytime.  Having grown up in upstate NY I am in heaven here.  I hope you enjoy your time here this winter.
Jerry

Where did you grow up at in New York State Jerry. I grew up in Elmira till the age of 11 and my parents decided to make the move to Florida at that time!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Jerry

Where did you grow up at in New York State Jerry. I grew up in Elmira till the age of 11 and my parents decided to make the move to Florida at that time!

Syracuse.  Parents moved to Florida in 76 while I was in the Navy and I soon got stationed in Pensacola.  I was 17 and had had my fill of snow when I joined!  Love it here but summers are starting to get warm!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Frank Towle

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 02:24:55 AM »
One more...  We stay in Bulow Plantation, Flagler Beach for the winter.  Normal activities, only small patio pads but wide sites in 50amp area, mostly sand roads but not 'dirt', many large (60' x 60') live oaks with Spanish moss tend to be a little messy but setting is very 'Old Florida'.

10 minutes from Atlantic Ocean, 25 minutes from Daytona Beach & St Augustine, 1+ hr from Orlando & Disney etc, 2+ to Tampa and Gulf. 

6 month winter weather: Daytime - 60 to 80+, nighttime 50 to 60+, 2 or 3 showers during the week.

Rates are decent $600 including utilities & basic cable.  Stay 6 months plus 1 day and get sales tax back which pays for seventh month (believe true anywhere in Florida).