Author Topic: Water fill valve location  (Read 7589 times)

neil omalley

Water fill valve location
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
2005 Pat Thunder. Can't get the fresh water fill valve to open via the switch inside OR outside. Anybody know the physical location of the valve ? Maybe a slight tap will open it. Is the switch associated with the Alladin system (which has recently died on me )?

Edward Buker

Re: Water fill valve location
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:15:36 AM »
Neil,

It is usually near the water pump and feeds fresh water to the tank from the plumbing there. The pump is sometimes located behind an access panel on the opposite side of the water tanks from where the access panel door is for your water/sewer connections.

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
Neil, in the next to last bay before the rear tire on the passanger side on the left side of the bay is a built in box about 3 inches deep and around 18inches by 22inches.  It is covered with carpet.  The front panel snaps on and off.  Behind this is the water pump and plumbing and low point drain for the ice maker.  Just left of the pump is a small square brass toned selnoid with a couple wires going to it.  This is the "Red Hat " valve controler and is what you are activating when you throw the fill switch inside.  Try tapping on it lightly.  Ours gets sticky over winter with the pink antifreeze.  These can be purchased for around $150.  Try BCS first.

Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

neil omalley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »
Thanks guys. I found the stuff you're talking about . I'm guessing the valve may be dun fur. I'll try rapping it a few times and see what happens. Keith, does that small red piece adjust the water pressure onboard?

neil omalley

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
P.S. my unit has the autofill feature . Would the apparent demise of my Alladin have any effect on that valve ?

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
Neil,

The auto fill valve is probably a Red Hat solenoid valve, turn on the auto fill or fill valve switch and see if the solenoid is on (Magnetized) pop off the red plastci cap and hold something metal (steel) on the top of the valve and see if it sticks, if so then the rubber diaphragm inside the valve is sticking or stuck. You can take the 4 bonnet bolts out and take the valve apart.
If the metal piece doesn't stick to the solenoid then you have to see if the solenoid is actually getting voltage, not 12 volt no energize magnetic.
You can get rebuild kits for these valves without buying the complete unit. Here's a link to the Red Hat site and there is also instructions there on all this. The green tag on the top of the solenoid will have all the valve info on it.

http://www.ascovalve.com/Applications/Products/SolenoidValves.aspx
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:18:32 PM by Lee Welbanks »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 11:46:39 PM »
Neil
I dont know about that red tab adjusting the pressure but I doubt it.
Ours was stuck about a year ago and we  finaly found one and had it shipped.  $150 later the old one came unstuck so we are still using it.   The pink antifreeze seems to be the cause and it resolves itself so far.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 02:29:16 AM »
These ASCO Red Hat valves have a rubber diaphragm that can stick and dried out anti-freeze might just do that. The red cap only covers the snap ring that holds the solenoid on, if you remove the snap ring you can pull the solenoid off the valve, take out the 4 bolts and open it up to see if it is or was stuck. I have rebuild many of these, we used a lot of them in cryogenic gas service for control valves.

neil omalley

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 02:59:29 AM »
Thanks everyone. I can't get to apply the given advice yet,when I do I'll let ya know. Lee, I appreciate the in depth !!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 03:46:55 AM »
Neil,,,My plesure.