Author Topic: Girard awning replacement ARMS-where to buy cheap?  (Read 8886 times)

Roland DuBree

Girard awning replacement ARMS-where to buy cheap?
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
Anyone know a supplier or source to buy Girard awning arms for the Right, White 9-9 arms other than Girard?  Girard wants $400.00 each for them!  My 2001 38' Beaver Contess awning got caught in a quick storm and 2 front (right) arms broke before the wind unit could get the awning in. Any suggestions?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Girard awning replacement ARMS-where to buy cheap?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
Roland
you could check with visone.com the salvage folks or perhaps rvsalvage in eugene or.
I strongly suggest not using a knock off.  We have been told by two installers that should know that when they break they sometimes come backward and can go right through the coach wall.
A Gerrard awning can be touchy enough on it own, I think I would bite the bullet on this one.

All the best
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:26 AM »
I would probably go with Girard and get the correct arms and is that all that got broke? A salvage yard will probably sell you the complete unit at probably a higher cost than the arms. Your call. I adjusted my wind sensor to make the awning retreat  with only a slight breeze, very easy to adjust once you get to the control box.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:52:16 AM »
First I would put in a claim with your insurance company and have it done right.  If that is a huge problem than Visone.

Personally I would go with Girard and a knowledgeable installer regardless.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
Roland, little information going used. We stopped at Colaw used R.V. Sales and new and used parts
On way to Branson Rally. ( looking for adj arms for our electric awning ) same thoughts save money.
They do have just about anything you want in used, very used, not to be used, but after walking and
looking without question. We are going to pay the extra cost and go with new, used comes with just
about new cost. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »
I would probably go with Girard and get the correct arms and is that all that got broke? A salvage yard will probably sell you the complete unit at probably a higher cost than the arms. Your call. I adjusted my wind sensor to make the awning retreat  with only a slight breeze, very easy to adjust once you get to the control box.

Lee, where do you find the control box for the Girard awnings at? I have a removable panel in the streetside outer side wall in the toilet area that may be the place?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 05:15:48 PM »
Hi Lamonte,
The control panel for the Girard on my 2000 Beaver Contessa Naples is right behind the panel for the awning control above the passenger seat.  Just remove the six screws on the wooden panel and you will find the control box mounted behind. 
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »
La Monte,

Sorry I missed your question about where the control box might be. All I know for sure is where it is on my 06 PT, in the cabinet above the street side couch slide. Have to remove the panel in the front of the cabinet and there are the control boxes.
My awning is mounted on the pass side slide, if it is mounted on the top side of the coach, I would see which end of the slide the motor is in and then start looking somewhere around there inside the coach.
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell