Author Topic: Sealant used on Beaver Coaches  (Read 5453 times)

Jim Crawford

Sealant used on Beaver Coaches
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:33:09 AM »
Does  anyone know what the best manufactures brand name of the clear sealant that can be used  for resealing the Coach.  I was also looking for best method used for removing the old sealant so that the area can be prepped properly.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Sealant used on Beaver Coaches
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:39:24 AM »
I have seen both these questions thoroughly discussed here on the Forum.  Do a search and you can read about it probably all night.  Be sure to include "Lexel" in your search argument.  I did a quick search using "lexel remov sealant" and found several threads to peruse.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:43:05 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 04:09:19 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "resealing the coach", but for a clear adhesive sealant like silicone, I've been using Lexel ever since it was recommended here several years back.  It was hard to find then, but is more common now.  Virtually any Ace Hardware has it in squeeze tubes handy for the RV, and in caulking gun format.  I think Lowe's carries it now.  To my notion it is superior in many ways to silicone;  I've even been using it on my house and outside projects.

As David says, there have been many discussions here about it, but there's likely benefit for you in this one:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2520.msg18890.html#msg18890

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:09:04 AM »
The sealant used by Monaco was Acryl-R made by Schnee-Morehead. The product number is SM5522. I think th e company now is different you can find info at acrylr.com.
Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:26 PM »
Jim,
Acrysol is good for removing sealant. It's be Kent Automotive and available on Amazon.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 03:24:36 AM »
The sealant used by Monaco was Acryl-R made by Schnee-Morehead. The product number is SM5522. I think th e company now is different you can find info at acrylr.com.
Steven Link
I bought several tubes of that from Monaco parts when the coach was new and I had read that Monaco recommended resealing the roof annually.  It was a pain to use.  I ended up using Camping World's Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant instead. 

The easy and fast way to get the old stuff off is with a vibrating saw that has a putty knife blade on it.  Mine is a Rockwell Sonicrafter, but there are lots of brands.  The last time I did it, I got both the front and back roof to cap seams cleaned and sealed in under an hour.