Author Topic: No DC power for lights and AC  (Read 3792 times)

Mark and Alice Waters

• BAC Member
No DC power for lights and AC
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »
Hope someone can help, on vacation with no DC power, lights, electric toilet, or thermostat.  We have outlet power, and the power switch at front door appears to be on and lit up.  We had problems with that switch after leaving it with someone for service.  Anybody got any ideas for this 2005 Marquis?
Thank you,
Mark & Alice Waters
2005 Marquis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: No DC power for lights and AC
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
There are several possibilities, I guess, but judging by the components you mention and that the salesman's switch lamp is on, I'd first suspect the Coach Power Solenoid (latching solenoid) that the switch activates.  It may not be closing its large contacts in response to the signal from the switch.  I don't have a Marquis, but in our Monterey the solenoid is inside a gray cabinet above the batteries, where the Big Boy solenoid is located.  The Coach Power Solenoid (a much smaller one than the Big Boy solenoid) on ours is mounted to the right of the cabinet's open door, against the forwardmost wall.

But possibly more of a culprit, given you relate issues with the switch previously, is the entry stairs-side salesman's switch itself.  Just because the lamp is on is no guarantee it is sending power through to the Coach Power Solenoid to activate it.  The switch is commonly used by owners to turn interior features on and off to conserve power, but that wasn't its initial intent, and it only wears it out faster.  Plus, it cuts 12v power only to a limited amount of devices anyway.  It should be left on always;  use the battery bay master switches to shut down most of the rig's DC power.

If you have a meter and understand a little bit of 12v systems, you could remove the salesman's switch and test to see if it's passing juice through properly.  Some owners jumper it so it's essentially always on even if a child or someone inadvertantly moves the rocker to off.  If a jumper wire on the switch gives you back house power, then make it permanent or get a new switch.  If not, it very well could be that the solenoid on the back right wall in the Big Boy cabinet is not closing its big contacts, and needs replacing.  Some actually just jumper the two big wires on that solenoid with like-sized wire, and alternatively some disconnect one of the two big wires on the solenoid and mount it on the side with the other one, effectively bypassing the entire switching feature (they turn off the master battery switches and unplug from park power before doing that).

Others here more electrically inclined may have other ideas for you.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:29 AM »
We just purchased a 2006 Beaver Monteray an had the same problem, we jumped around the solenoid with jumper cables(careful there is a/c voltage) it worked so we replaced the solenoid ordered from Monaco about 90. + fgt. works great.
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:00:46 AM »
Dale,

Next time just get the numbers off the part and buy on line, I think that solenoid cost me $57 @ Amazon got one for a spare. Also BCS parts are really high also, but they usually have what you're looking for.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
I just had the same  problem last week on our 06 PT, no power at any of the multiplex switch locations.
My first thought was the Salesman Switch, it's located at a very bad spot right next to the step switch.
I found this didn't help and the light on the switch was also out. I then check for power at the solenoid.
 I then pulled one leg of large wire off one side of the solenoid and moved it so both wires are now connected.

FYI I did get info from the Forum/BCS/Monaco all telling me this was the on the road correction.
After the connection was made all the multiplex switch plates worked. I did the repair in OK City and G.Harwell came over to do the field inspection and sign off!

I still plan to replace the solenoid as we pass Bend, at BCS they have been very fair with us on parts and labor, "I Trust them".
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:38:04 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Robert Wagner

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
Check all you fuses in the bathroom. There is a black cover. Open that and there will be a fuse labeled tstat. That fuse is more than likely blown as they tie that in with a few other things.

Hope that helps.

Bob