Author Topic: Yellowstone RV accommodations  (Read 8012 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Yellowstone RV accommodations
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
Yellowstone is high on our bucket list and we're hoping to get there next summer.  Looking for suggestions on where to stay.  We'd like a place with 50 amp and water.  Our "toad" is a Honda scooter, so we'd rather be close to a park entrance.

Thanks,

Larry

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

Re: Yellowstone RV accommodations
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
The Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone is nice, a bit pricey but look where you are. Four blocks from the Park entrance.

http://www.grizzlyrv.com

Phil
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
We spent one week at Grizzly RV Park last month and loved it.  Using it as our base, we were able to cover all the park and the Tetons in the seven days.  I suggest heading to the park entrance about 7:00 am as the crowds are less in the morning.  We hit the entrance about 7 and were back at the motorhome in the early afternoon.  We made a different loop each time we entered the park and the last couple of days we just headed back to a couple of distant things that we had skipped over previously.  It worked out great.  For a great lunch, try the Buffalo Bar and order the Bison Burger.  The Buffalo Bar is located on the main street as you enter West Yellowstone from the west.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:14:49 PM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
Grizzly is a nice, well managed, RV park with lots of lawn and nice facilities.   A bonus is a great hardware store within a very short walk.  We've stayed there a few times, including this year on our trip to Branson and can recommend it.

However, there is another choice.  Fishing Bridge Campground is centrally located within Yellowstone.  It is a National Park campground and managed by the Park's contract vendor.  You can make reservations through the National Park system.  We stayed there on the way home from the Kerrville rally last year when we still owned the Beaver.  The spaces are big enough and the 50 amp hookups are new.   Most that are used to "RV Resorts" will find it "crowded" and "tight".   The don't waste any real estate!  Obviously the key advantage is that you are in the park, not commuting to the park.  The key disadvantage is that you don't have easy access to the many restaurants, souvenir shops and fly fishing guides in West Yellowstone.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »
Larry we recommend the Grizzly,. we have used the park 4 times and its a 5 star park.
If you have time plan a bus tour, the park will set this up for you and get the box lunch they are very good and it beat standing in line at the lodge.
You can take the lunch into the lodge upper deck to view the Old Faithful
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:47:09 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »
I've not actually stayed at Grizzly myself, but have been through the area several times, the last time exactly 3 years ago today when I fished the Madison.  Yellowstone Holiday up on Hebgen Lake is pretty nice, but not local to the West Entrance particularly.   Shunning the crowds, we inevitably stay further away such as way Northwest up the Madison River, or Southwest around Henry's Lake or Island Park.  I'm sure you'd be quite pleased with Grizzly. 

None of these popular, close-in parks are inexpensive of course   http://www.grizzlyrv.com/rates/  , but then you are well-placed for easy daily forays into Yellowstone, Hebgen or Quake Lakes, plenty of restaurants/fast food handy coming home after a daytrip, the museum, and souvenir and specialty shops (in my case probably the highest concentration of flyshops in the country  ;D -Nervana).

I can say that even in fall, West Yellowstone is a busy place;  so if you plan on Grizzly next summer, or any other park within 50 miles, I'd make reservations quite a ways in advance, if not now.  In fact, I recall checking out one park (Lionshead?) while driving through one evening not that long before seasonal closure, and there were no openings.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:15:18 AM »
I highly recommend Grizzley RV. We stayed there for a week in August and enjoyed every minute of it.