Author Topic: Avoiding New York City?  (Read 6778 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Avoiding New York City?
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:31:59 AM »
We are in Rhode Island headed south on Tuesday and trying to find the best compromise around, not through, NYC.
Considered going out through Danbury, CT but it is the long way around.
I would prefer to avoid tolls but at some point the cost of diesel outweighs avoiding toll roads.
I'm looking at working my way over to I-287 to skirt the city and then hook back up on I-95 south of Newark.
I would appreciate any advice on getting through the Metroplex area safely.

Lawrence Tarnoff

Re: Avoiding New York City?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 03:23:14 AM »
I've done that route often, but never in a motorhome.  Best bet is to cross into NJ via 287 and the Tappan Zee bridge and take the Garden State Pkwy to 80 and then east to 95.  Even with this route, it can be a nightmare.  Good luck!

Larry

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:02:31 PM »
We have "circumnavigated" New York multiple times, but if you think 287 is too much of a detour you won't like my approach either.  We just traveled down the East Coast from Atlantic Canada and went around Boston on I-495 to the Mass Pike (I-90) across NY to I-87.  South on I-87 to I-84 to I-81.  Once you are on I-81 you can decide when you want to cross back over to I-95.  One option is to take I-81 all the way to I-64 and return to I-95 south of Richmond VA.

Although this may sound rather circuitous, if you play with it on Google Maps you will discover that the "penalty" you pay in time and distance really isn't all that large.  And as someone who has traveled that corridor in a car many, many times the uncertainty of driving times in and around NY is so large that just because a route shows as faster doesn't mean it will be.

And as for tolls, IMHO, tolls are a minor concern compared to the stress and hassle relief provided by staying away from NY.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:11:12 PM by Joel Weiss »

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »
Bruce,   I live in Massachusetts and have done this at least 40 times in a motorhome. I will go over the George Washington Bridge if I can do it after 9 PM or before 4AM. If not I go over the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway. The Parkway lanes are only 11' wide which is 1' less than normal. I really like going over the George Washington and no toll going south. We once sat on the George Washington for 2 hours because of accident. We had dinner and watched a movie. The view was unbelievable.

Steve J 

Frank Towle

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
I travel between central NH and FL at least twice a year in Thunder w/Jeep.  We get to Hartford via I-91 then go West on I-84 to Scranton, then I-81 to Charlotte NC, I-77 to Columbia SC, I-26 to I-95

No tolls going south, some construction on I-84 then again at I-26. 

Some cut across I-64 to Richmond VA then down I-95.  I'm a happier camper the less I use I-95.

Just completed trip again last week before hurricane hit.  Understand parts of Columbia were hit hard don't know about I-95 corridor.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:36 AM »
Good tips, Thanks. I think I'm going to take the 287 across the Tappan Zee to Harrisburg.
That gets me around everything and I can go south from there.
I had planned to go to Columbia on the way South but things are a mess through that area.
Guess I'm due for some more creative routing.

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »
As of today, 10/05 there are some detours on South Carolina interstates, could changes later today. Check DOT website or SC 511 App. About 70 miles of I95 closed.  Detour south bound I20 to I77 to I26 back to  I95.  Short area on I26 closed around Columbia.   
Closings are changing as water levels from flooding charge.  Everything could be back open when you arrive in SC. 
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger