Author Topic: I don't understand the aqua hot  (Read 14319 times)

John Padmore

I don't understand the aqua hot
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
I am plugged into 50 amp service.  I have the hot water switch on.  I don't have any other switch for the aqua hot system. Thermostats are set on 80 degrees and heat and fan are on. Ambient temp is 50 degrees so it should call for heat. Fuel level is 3/4 full. Water is hot at faucet. If I continue to use hot water the aqua hot system comes on and I get heat until it satisfies the hot water demand then it shuts off and the fans blow cold air again. It will not come on again until I use more hot water. Any ideas?

Can anyone suggest a backup heater... Ceramic or otherwise to use as a supplement.  Thanks
John

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: I don't understand the aqua hot
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »
My guess is your and my AquaHots are very dissimilar models, so I cannot be of much help.  But if you placed the model number of your AquaHot here, then perhaps someone with the same model and/or someone could lookup the operator/service manual for your model and make some sense out of your symptoms.  My AquaHot has diesel burner and engine preheat toggle switches located in the living room, has an electric element switch in the 110v breaker panel, has four heating zones with three adjustable temperature thermostats, and has four furnace-fan speed switches.

Since you have hot water at a faucet (I assume all faucets plus the shower), then my guess is the furnace thermostats are somehow not functioning properly... but, again, this is just a guess.  What about furnace-fan speed switches - do you have them and are they set on OFF?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »
I was wondering the same as David! Without knowing what Aquahot system model you have it makes it difficult to help. On mine if you have hot water from the aqua hot and have your thermostats set at 80 degrees, be sure you have the fan switches on low or high if you have them. Mine are located 1). in front of the sink and another 2). on the wall near the bedroom light switch. Thermostats set on heat also, they should kick on unless something is wired incorrectly!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
I have a 97 Beaver Patriot, it has the older aqua hot with a single switch in the kitchen for the diesel burner.  So it may be the same model you have.

You might check and see if your's is the single pump model like mine, if it is, there is a gate valve (like a hose faucet) that turns on antifreeze going to the heaters, my RV guy turned it off and forgot to turn it back on and I had no heat until I opened the valve.

It could also be that it lost prime, I've not read to much into that other than seeing others post that it has a specific set of instructions in the service manual and it's not for the feint of heart.

If you get down in the basement you should see the antifreeze lines running to the front and back zones, reach up and touch them (gently as they can be 180+ degrees), you should feel heat.  If you don't, then it's probably what I mentioned above, either the valve is off or the pump lost prime.

You should also check your anti-freeze levels, but that requires the aqua hot to be cooled off before opening the radiator cap.  Do not rely on the overflow bottle to verify the internal tank isn't low.

If the antifreeze is low that could cause it not to be able to pump to the front and back zones, and can also destroy your aqua hot.

I'm planning on checking my levels before I head out this weekend.  With winter fast approaching, probably not a bad idea for others to check their levels as well.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

John Padmore

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 02:47:47 AM »
Tim i think I have the same unit as you. Mine is an AHE 100-02S with the same switch as you have. I didn't check the valve but when it runs for not water there is plenty of heat.. The fan switches are both at to high. When hot water is satisfied aqua hot shuts off and no more heat.

Tim Schafer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:39 AM »
For the heat registers to work, the antifreeze has to reach them, did you check the lines in the basement to see if they are hot?

They will be larger than water lines, I think they are 3/4 - 1" in diameter and should run near the center beam thru the basement.  You may only see the one line headed towards the back of the coach.

Tim & Ann
Tim & Ann Schafer
1997 Beaver Patriot Camden 40'

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:14:05 AM »
John - If you have the AHE-100-02S, then you have the same model as our coach.  I think there is a troubleshooting guide included in the manual.  Look here for all the possible AquaHot product manuals:  http://aquahot.com/Library.aspx

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Orman Claxton

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »
John,  Check the coolant level, UNDER the Radiator cap. if you have the AHE100, check to see if the circulation pumps are working, Are the lines below the check valves hot? If yes, Tap the valves with a screw driver or wrench, small hammer. Check the three small relays on the right,  (A/H cover will have to be removed)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:06:01 PM by Orman Claxton »

Steven Hoffman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »
John

Sounds like the fuse for the pump might be blown.  Fuse C ( 10 amp) provides 12 V through the relays when a thermostat calls for heat.  The pump acts as a "stir" pump when the diesel burner is on.  The burner provides 12 v bypassing the relays.  Thus heat when using a lot of water (burner cuts in).

I think a fuse will fix it. 

Steve

John Padmore

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
All lines are hot.  Not sure how to Check a relay. Have to leave for a few days. Will check fuse when I return. Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it

John

Mike Groves

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 11:47:50 PM »
It sounds like there must be a 2nd temperature sensor that controls calls for heat vs hot water and that it has failed.

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
John,

Is your unit 100-2s? Does it have multiple relays and multiple circulators visible when you take the cover off? It may be good to take a photo of the unit with the cover off so we can see what we are working with.

These are fairly simple control systems to engage a zone. The thermostat closes contacts, it powers a relay in the unit, that powers the circulator. You should be able to feel and hear each circulator come on (one at a time) if each has an inside thermostat on the wall. If the circulator does not come on with the thermostat that is one issue, electrical in nature. If it comes on and you do not get heat that is another issue, check valve or possibly the circulator pump. Try one zone and let us know what happens.

Later Ed

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
                 On this model it is not unusual for the brass check valves mounted directly above the circulation motors to "stick" in the closed position. By design they are in the closed position by gravity. It requires pressure from the pump to push the flapper part upward to open. What happens upon occasion the antifreeze gets gummy and glues the flapper down on the seat. To prove if this is the issue, you will have hot coolant going to the circulation pump but the output line above the check valve will be cool. If you tap on the check valve while the pump is running all of a sudden the valve will open and hot coolant will flow thru it. If that works, then I recommend changing the boiler coolant with fresh 50/50 diluted pink boiler coolant. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Edward Buker

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
Fred,

These units were shipped and are OK with standard Ethylene Glycol automotive coolant. I like to run about 40% glycol/60% distilled water for improved efficiency and maybe it helps with the check valve sticking issue given I have not had that problem. This solution is good to -10F which is fine for my climate. I buy 50/50 predilute for convenience and add some distilled water.

If your unit has the green/yellow Ethylene Glycol, I would stick with it. If it has been converted to the Pink Propylene Glycol then I would stick with that.

Later Ed

John Padmore

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »
Here is what I did.  Checked coolant level.... OK.  Checked all fuses (took out inspected and returned).All OK.  Took out all relays and put back in. All OK.  All pipes are hot and circulator works. Tested heat with hot water switch on and heat up to 90. Plenty of heat. . So..... my best guess is that one of the above electrical devices had a gremlin in it and now it is making contact. I appreciate all of the input that was given.  Let's see if it works overnight.  Thanks.....

John