Author Topic: C12 air filter early change  (Read 6382 times)

Jeremy Parrett

C12 air filter early change
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:56:49 AM »
  After driving from Elkhart IN to Albuquerque NM I noticed the C12 air filter tell tale was nearly in the red.
  I removed the filter housing bottom tray surprised to find it was full of oil.  That would explain why the filter needed changing, but where did the red colored oil come from.   
  Zolman Truck  Services changed the hydraulic fluid and also replaced a leaky return line nipple on the tank.
 Is there any way (other that spilling hydraulic fluid over the filter and into the tray) that the C12 can suck oil into the air filter housing??

Dale Walker

Re: C12 air filter early change
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:19:23 AM »
Jeremy, if it's built anything like my C-9, it isn't possible. Sorry for not being more help.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
Jeremy,

Is any of those oils that the shop change red in color? Change the filter and run it a while down the road and check to see if the filter is getting any oil in it.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 03:53:16 AM »
The hydraulic tank is near the intake port, any way the red hydraulic oil from the leaky nipple was sucked into the air intake over time? With air flow could become a mist. I had a leaking Oring in a rear hydraulic line once and the mist completely covered the back of the RV and my car, what a mess...

Later Ed

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:18:31 AM »
Jeremy, Oil in air filter housing and on bottom of filter itself can enter is via: outside air intake.
Seems hard to think o-ring or loose connection on a return hydraulic line spraying to outside would
go very long with/out notice from someone. About the only way air filter ( oil spray entering ) would
Be a loose clamp on rubber boot connecting center of cold side of turbo charger or there is a crack
in the rubber boot between air filter housing and turbo charger. Next possible location is end cap on
filter housing itself on snap holding end cap in place not snap in place. Note this is on the inside of
engine compartment. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
Two other ideas come to mind here for sources of red oil.  1) My coach has an oil bath type air filter.  When cleaned, it is thoroughly covered with several treatments of detergent, then allowed to dry, then mist-sprayed with a red oil to completely bathe the filter material with a red oil.  The red is there to make visible any skipped areas over the filter material while spraying.  Once the filter material's outside surface is completely red colored, then you know it's completely covered.  2) Just above the air filter in my coach is the hydraulic oil reservoir for the (I think) cooling fan and power steering.  That reservoir is filled with Dexron III.  If it's leaking, then there is another source of red oil.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:03:54 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »
David, Jermey if oil is still getting in filter housing ahead problem can be deeper. I was going
To mention that last eve but assume the simple thing first that stand out. First the air filter
Set up, from turbo charger cold side to filter housing there is connecting rubber boot at center
Of turbo held in place via band clamp than what metal piping and rubber connection boots and
clamps attaching to air filter body. Note this area is a sealed unit that will not allow any outside
To enter and has a indicator to check for air resiction ( again only place air can enter filter intake
To outside air or cap on filter housing where new filter is installed. ) Oil can come from the turbo
charger itself but oil color is black because it is engine oil. Oil will come out the center of cold
side where rubber boot connects. If worse case, oil is coming from this area and black in color.
Seal has failed in turbo and will require turbo replacement. The engine will seem to run ok but
Engine oil under pressure will exit back toward air filter is seal is bad or worn. This is area to
check if you think turbo problem, remove rubber boot at turbo connection if oil is present than
Problem is the turbo itself.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Ed,Dave and David,
   Thanks for your input.
  After cleaning up the filter housing bottom tray I checked the inside of the housing. It was dry and a bit dusty so I wiped it clean .  No oil in the upper area where the filtered air enters the turbo. I therefore deduce that the turbo is OK !!
 The only possibility is that when the mechanic removed the return oil line from the hydraulic  tank
 he must have spilled a considerable amount of oil over the filter housing.  He cleaned the exterior but not the tray never thinking the oil in the upturned lip of the tray ( bad design) would get sucked into the filter.
  We are driving  to Durango CO tomorrow from Tijeras NM to ride The Durango /Silverton Express.
  I will check the filter tray when we arrive. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:31:08 PM by Jeremy Parrett »