Author Topic: Slide out rooms operating slower  (Read 13335 times)

Roger Rempe

Slide out rooms operating slower
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:02:27 PM »
Recently, my slide out rooms seem to be operating slower than usual. Could it be that the hydraulic fluid is low? Where would the reservoir be located on a 2006 40' Beaver Monterey and what type of fluid would I use? Should the rooms be extended when checking the fluid level? We've had a lot of damp weather these past few weeks. Might that be the cause?

Lee Welbanks

Re: Slide out rooms operating slower
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
Roger,

On my 06 PT the hydraulic pump is right behind the entry step, if I slide out my generator I can get to the oil tank and check the oil level. Always check the level with all the slides in. If yours is not in that location have somebody run the slide in or out and go out and listen and you will locate the pump.
The following users thanked this post: Paul Champagne

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:50:00 AM »
In our 2004, like Mr. Welbanks's coach, the hydraulic pump and reservoir are located just left of the entry step.  I raise the coach up on it bags with the step out, throw down a soft carpet, and slide my head and shoulders under the curb side coach's edge just fore of the step to reach the reservoir cap.  I would guess if the reservoir oil level is low, then that could explain slow slide operation.  The problem could also be in the manifold that directs oil to the proper lines depending upon which toggle switch is pushed.

We have hydraulic leveling, as well, that works from this same hydraulic pump and reservoir.  I think the manual says to put one hydraulic leveler ram down six inches before adding Dexron III (or IV or V) to the reservoir.  If the reservoir is low on oil and a lot of oil is added, then there is a procedure in the manual that is followed to remove air pockets from the hydraulic lines.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roger Rempe

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I crawled under and looked around the area near the stairs but, couldn't find much that looked like a reservoir. I've attached a couple pics of devices in that area. Not sure if they are what I'm looking for. Very hard to get up inside and so the pics aren't the best.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
Roger,

Your first pic is your 12V air compressor, the second one looks like the oil reservoir for the hydraulic pump. Looks like a starter motor attached to the tank. If it is the oil tank it will have a cap/dipstick on the top of it.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:06:14 PM »
I have a hydraulic reservoir and filter on the Curb side all the way to the rear in last compartment.  Thought it was for everything, maybe after reading here only for fan motor?  Thought I would mention just in case that is where yours is also.  I could easily be confused so don't take as Gospel!  I'm still trying to figure things out.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »
That's where my hyd reservoir tank is Jerry. My tank is only used for the l/r slideout now as I have capped all the jack lines and removed the jacks from my coach.

I have an air system made for the airbags now. I use a brace on my l/r slide now as I had my slide come all the way out going around a corner after Alliance Coach depleted my fluid due to a jack leaking and didn't refill the reservoir.

If fluid is low or depleted the front room can come out on its own as there is no hydraulic pressure to hold it in.....bedroom slide is chain and electric motor driven so don't have to worry there.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:23:03 AM »
That's where my hyd reservoir tank is Jerry. My tank is only used for the l/r slideout now as I have capped all the jack lines and removed the jacks from my coach.

I have an air system made for the airbags now. I use a brace on my l/r slide now as I had my slide come all the way out going around a corner after Alliance Coach depleted my fluid due to a jack leaking and didn't refill the reservoir.

If fluid is low or depleted the front room can come out on its own as there is no hydraulic pressure to hold it in.....bedroom slide is chain and electric motor driven so don't have to worry there.
Wow, that must have been exciting to have your slide come all the way out that way!  After a local guy rebuilt the controls on my hydraulic leveling it works great.  I still pretty much only use the air though.  Thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Harold and Gloria Skipworth

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:03:22 AM »
I had problems with erratic response from the slides on my 05 monterey which turned out to be low voltage caused by the main power cable at the manifold being nearly corroded through. HWH found it in 1/2 hr. after several other shops tried to find the problems. Lowest cost for service I have ever had.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »
This is what you're looking for, Roger.  If you still can't find it, let us know and I'll try to get a photo of ours, which is on the same model and year coach.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
Okay fellas, Roger also asked what fluid to use if he needs to add any.  Dexron or what?  - my main manual doesn't specify, and we all should know what to use.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roger Rempe

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
This is what you're looking for, Roger.  If you still can't find it, let us know and I'll try to get a photo of ours, which is on the same model and year coach.

Joel

Thank you Joel. I assume that the reservoir would be mounted next to or near the hydraulic pump that you attached the image of?
Roger

George H. Wall

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
I had problems with erratic response from the slides on my 05 monterey which turned out to be low voltage caused by the main power cable at the manifold being nearly corroded through. HWH found it in 1/2 hr. after several other shops tried to find the problems. Lowest cost for service I have ever had.
[/I also have had this problem and finally burned up my motor because of low voltage. Try with generator running with batteries fully charged, possibly batts are not holding their charge, happened to me.  Henry

Roger Rempe

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
[/I also have had this problem and finally burned up my motor because of low voltage. Try with generator running with batteries fully charged, possibly batts are not holding their charge, happened to me.  Henry

My slide outs are working every time I use them. It's just that they seem to have slowed their rate of travel gradually over time to the point that it is now noticeable.
Roger

Roger Rempe

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
I brought in my two front slides, raised the front end and crawled underneath. I was able to stand up on my knees high enough to spot the cap on the reservoir and take more pics. The fluid was only down about a half inch from the top so I didn't add any more.
We spent two very wet weeks in SC...think Hurricane Joaquin! The weather has been dry the past three days here in sunny Florida. The slides now seem to be moving at regular pace. I'm thinking that the dampness may have a lot to do with that? Anyway, thanks for all of the input and now I know how and where to check my fluid!   :)
Roger