Author Topic: Fog light lens replacement  (Read 3559 times)

Joel Weiss

Fog light lens replacement
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:17 AM »
Not that I use them all that often but I noticed that one of my fog/driving light lenses has been shattered, probably by a rock.  Does anyone know if these are just generic lights or did they come from a specific vehicle?  I realize that I'll probably have to replace the entire light assembly, not just the lens.  The coach is an SMC-era 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Fog light lens replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »
One of our black-cased round ones was broken the first year.  As I recall I checked auto parts stores, but eventually picked one up while at BCS, and installed it myself later.  A little bracket adaptation was necessary, and the wire leads had different connector types, so I had to adapt, but it was otherwise essentially the same light.

You might remove the light and tape-off and secure the wires if on the road, then take it to auto parts stores for a match.  Failing that, do a search online, and check with BCS.  My light was integral, e.g. one unitized piece.  I think it was $50, which seemed a lot for a small 12v. lamp unit, but it's good quality and heavy, and was the nearest match to the original.

After that, and reading here about how spendy a new headlight was, I had protective film like what's commonly put on our front caps fitted to all the front lenses, including the fog lights.  The only issue is the curved headlight film wrinkles over time and dirt gets behind it - but it's better than broken expensive or hard-to-find lenses.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

Re: Fog light lens replacement
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:37:03 PM »

After that, and reading here about how spendy a new headlight was, I had protective film like what's commonly put on our front caps fitted to all the front lenses, including the fog lights. 

FYI I had the headlight assemblies replaced last spring.  I refused to buy the Lincoln OEM ones so I bought a decent set of Chinese replacements from a reputable supplier.  Getting them installed wasn't all that much fun since the electrical connectors were different and Beaver had done quite a bit of trimming on the modules.  Fortunately, I wasn't doing the work myself, but I probably spent ~$500 in labor to get them mounted.  But the final result looks a lot better than the originals, one of which was taking on water and both of which were badly hazed.