Author Topic: Campgrounds for touring New Orleans?  (Read 7531 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Campgrounds for touring New Orleans?
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »
Sitting at Alliance Coach in Wildwood Fl to get our leveling system fixed.
We are meeting our daughter in New Orleans and I need a safe and suitable RV park for a 45' Marquis.
Anyone have any experience parking something our size near the City?

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

Re: Campgrounds for touring New Orleans?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
I would recommend Bayou Segnette State Park.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/parks/bayou-segnette-state-park/

It's on the west bank.

Glenda
   8)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:05 AM »
We stayed at Fontainebleu State Park in Mandeville LA, just across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans. Has pull through sites and most are okay for our Beavers. Don't take a site that has trees right at the edge of the site if its one of the curved ones. I wouldn't take the coach near NOLA except on the interstate.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:22:56 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
Unfortunately, the recommended parks are full.
I'm looking at St Bernard State Park, the only downside seems to be mosquitoes at this point, but we won't be there most of the time anyway.
Anyone have any experience with this park?

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Beaver folks...For those who are not able to get into the Porter's "Beavers on Bourbon Street" rally I have made reservations at the Bayou Signette State Park near New Orleans for March 23 - 30, 2016 for Violet and I.  If any Beaver wants to reserve there for some time at the park at our "Beaver Gathering" they need to make reservations as after Christmas Holidays the park fills up fast according to the LA parks reservation desk.  One wanting to register can call 1-877-226-7652 or go on-line at www.reservelastateparks.com for reservations.  The cost is $20.00 per night plus a $6.00 reservation fee and a $2.00 park entrance fee if you don't have a Senior Pass/National Park pass.  Our cost for the week is $146.00, giving only a $26.00 upfront fee.
We have reservation in campsite #CI-4 if interested in trying to park close to us for social times.  Looking forward to seeing some of you there and please let me know if you make reservations there. :)  Check out their web site for virtual tour.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Jerry and Kay Hudson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Hey Mandy,

Kay and I will be staying right next to you for the same time. we are currently living in Houston but home is west bank of New Orleans but we have to get back and see grand daughter from time to time.

Jerry and Kay

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:36:24 AM »
Well, the big girl fits, barely.
We stayed at St. Bernard State Park for about 5 days seeing folk in NOLA and riding out the leftover Hurricane Patricia system.
We stayed in site 46 and as you see it JUST fits after I removed the Roadmaster hitch from the rear.
50 Amp power and water but no sewer anywhere in the park, I trundled the waste water to the dump station, about 80 yards away on a paved road.
Sites are big, plenty of room between them and are paved but narrow; but we did fit.
Not all sites will fit a 40 foot coach, ours was one of a couple that would do 45. Probably room for six or eight 40s in the park.
We parked our truck and trailer (we caravan at this point) in a nearby spot that is reserved for such overflow.
We are about 15 miles from the French Quarter. I suggest coming in and out on LA 39 from I-10, there is an extremely narrow bridge on LA 47 that will give you great pause. LA 47 is the better road but LA 39 will get you here in one piece. The roads parallel each other so I would come in on 39 until over the river and then cut over to 47. Paris Street is a nice wide connector. Use Google maps.
We paid $18 a night here. My DW says never again because of the bugs; there are mosquitoes but not horrendous (unless it is raining) and if you aren't going to be here much anyway...but NOLA is not her kind of place anyway. We enjoyed the French Quarter, but my sweetie is a non-drinker so it got old for her fast.
 Me, I enjoyed the relaxed container policy and toured with an open container with my daughter's boyfriend. Made for a pretty mellow tour...