Author Topic: coach voltage question  (Read 13515 times)

Chuck Bayman

Re: coach voltage question
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »
Hello all. Well first let me say I know nothing when it comes to electrical. I have followed this disscusion with interest because our coach has a problem not keeping the chassis batteries charged. For the last two years I have had a number of RV shops look at it and no one can find anything wrong. I have resorted to keeping a Battery Tender hooked up all the time. I changed my inline fuses today and that didn't change anything. I am still getting a green blinking light on the Echo Charger. Could the Echo Charger be bad and still show the green flashing light? The Battery Tender does the job but it is a small pain to dig it out and set it up when it should be taken care of with the house charginging system. Last august at the Lima Rally I didn't hookup the tender and the coach wouldn't start after 4-5 days. Any ideas what I might try?

Thanks Chuck
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:16:24 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 03:56:08 AM »
Chuck,

I believe the blinking light indicates that the house batteries are at a lower voltage state than the chassis starting batteries. When the light is green and blinking you are not charging the chassis batteries. This system can only work while the main inverter/charger is working. Might be possible with the solar panels charging but that is not a sure thing.

You need to check the Echo Charger wiring fuses, voltage levels of both the house and chassis batteries, and that the wiring of the echo charger is correct. In order for this system to work you should be seeing about 13.8V on the house batteries and about .5 to 1V less on the chassis batteries. The Echo charger info and wiring can be found here.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/421/docserve.aspx

If you find that the wiring and fuses are correct (verify them with an ohm meter) and the house batteries are at about 13.8V and you are not getting around 13V on the chassis batteries with a solid green light on I would change the Echo Charger. If you are not familiar with an ohm meter and this is unclear as to what you should do then get some help. There are some safety concerns if you were to inadvertently short a battery bank. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »
Ed

I am pluged into shore power here at home with the charger on and the monitor is reading 13.8 volts for the house batteries. I replaced the inline fuses yesterday and i still have a blinking green light. The Echo Charger won't switch over and charge the chassis batteries thats why i have to use the Battery Tender. This has been a frustrating problem for awhile now since i can't find a rv repair shop that knows anything about the charging system and i am electrically challenged. I am thinking i might have to replace the Echo Charger.

Chuck

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 04:24:16 AM »
Chuck,

The blinking light indicates that the unit is not charging, also confirmed by having to use a back up charger. If we assume that 13.8V on the monitor panel is the correct voltage at the house batteries (reasonable assumption) and that the starting batteries are in good condition(reasonable assumption given the portable charger charges them adequately) and that the wires from the Echo charger to the batteries have continuity and are wired correctly (cannot be sure without tracing them and checking them with a meter but not too likely to be defective given that you changed the fuses) then I would order up a new one. They are about $106 at this source.

http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-products-82-0123-01-XANTREX-ECHO-CHARGE-12V--24V_1096414122.html

You will spend more money trying to have someone trouble shoot this than it would cost you to buy a new one and change it out yourself. If the new one gives you the same problem then we will look deeper. Worst case is that you will have a spare charger. I'm guessing that this will cure your problem....

Later Ed