Author Topic: Parking brake woes !  (Read 19079 times)

Lee Welbanks

Re: Parking brake woes !
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
Jeremy,

In Cali I've seen some that were closed but the lanes were open, some that are gated at the entry. Its pot luck, rolled across a scale once when they were open just for giggles and they didn't say a word, don't know if they could actually find something to write up for that one, might pull me in and do a DOT inspection and then you know for sure you are going to get a yellow piece of paper.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
California does not leave their scales on when they are closed.  Oregon is the best bet.  I have not found any that could not be used up there when the scales are closed.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
Jeremy,
The practice of leaving DOT scales on and available to use when they are "closed" is a very common practice in Oregon. However, it is not done in most other states.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »
Gerald,
  thanks for the info on  scales in CA.   P&V Diesel will service my brakes next Tuesday.
 They will  weigh my coach after the work is completed  and set the tag axle downforce correctly with regard to steer axle loading.
  Are you familiar with the system that measures air bag pressure at all wheels and transmits it to a dash mounted readout as a weight/load in pounds ?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
Jeremy,
I have never seen the system that you are referring to.

Gerald

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 12:13:54 AM »
Bet you could adapt one of the hi end tire pressure monitor systems to actually read you air bag pressure and with that probably figure out your loading.
But the question I have is why? The HWH air ride systems regulate level and travel height as far as I know, you could put 20K on your front end and the leveling system would still set the coach level and at correct ride height.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 04:54:32 AM »
Gerald and Lee,
   I found this system is used widely in the trucking industry.  Definitely adaptable to my coach with tag axle.
    http://www.air-weigh.com/loadmaxx-tractor/

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Gerald and Lee,
   I found this system is used widely in the trucking industry.  Definitely adaptable to my coach with tag axle.
    http://www.air-weigh.com/loadmaxx-tractor/

Why would somebody install this on a coach? We are not in the business of hauling freight. Weigh the coach adjust the tag and front weight and drive it.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
Jeremy,
I will have to agree with Lee on this one. Since your coach's weight does not change on a daily basis like a freight truck, why would you want to spend the time and money to add this to your coach? Just weigh each wheel location, set the correct pressure in the tag and drive it. You can make a regular check of the air pressure gauge on the tag to make sure that the regulator is holding the right pressure, but that is all that you need to do.

Gerald

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  Diversity is what makes the world go round.  I remember in college (a long time ago) a sociology professor opined that an entrepreneur would need no more than 6% of the local population's support to make a startup business successful.  That being said, I agree this dynamic weighing system is un-needed for our coaches.  The weight of our coaches is not what I would define as dynamic.  Our coaches' weights are relatively stable overall and from end-to-end.  But, if you have an extra $5k to $10k burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 01:19:51 AM »
Gerald, Lee and David,
   I will take your advice and shelve idea.               
                   See you at Quartzsite !     Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:21:32 AM by Jeremy Parrett »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 05:25:57 PM »
P&V Diesel  Indio  installed new passenger side drive axle  rotor/disc, pads and oil seal Tuesday. Departed Wednesday am . Arrived Vicksburg.MS Saturday after driving through some pretty awefull weather......35 deg F, high winds and very  heavy rain. Cars and trucks littered the road side  Yesterday our  diesel mileage seemed to be lower....checked C12 air filter ...telltale right to the top......blocked air filter..........caused a bit of blue smoke I noticed as engine stumbled just once.
 Possible causes.....Cochella Valley dust mixed with very heavy rain   caused air  filter to get wet and set like clay !! Will know when I replace it tomorrow .  Stopped at Love's and noticed oil around passenger side drive axle and on chassis .  Maybe  hub oil seal was not installed absolutely true.  Hope to get truck/trailer shop to install new seal tomorrow.  If it rains it pours......
 Maybe someone could comment on momentary engine stumble /rough running causing blue smoke for a few seconds........was my guess that the blocked air filter caused this correct or could it be something else ???  Silverleaf shows no faults.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »
Stevens Truck Services in Vicksburg MS replaced the drive axle oil seal Monday in 2 hours.  The bad seal was a substandard part !!
The issue with the C12 air filter has resolved itself .  The filter got wet during the downpour we drove through all day Friday causing the telltale to hit the roof. It has since dried out.