Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 4214 times)

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
Speedometer
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »
had a very interesting situation occur today. Driving from near Sedona AZ to Needles CA I loooked down and saw that the white needle on the speedometer was pointing at the bottom (6 o'clock). Realizing I was not going over 100 mph I deduced something was wrong. All other speedometer functions were working correctly so I continued on. This was not my first speedometer gremlin. Anyway, during the trip the speedometer would move between 5'oclock and 7 o'clock as my speed changed in the mountains of western AZ. When I stopped for lunch and turned the key to off the needle went to 46 MPH.

After a short break for lunch I restarted the engine and the needle went back to 0 MPH and worked the rest of the trip to Needles CA.

Any thoughts out there?

Ken
BAC members since 2006

Gerald Farris

Re: Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »
 Your speed sensor generates a square wave electrical signal that goes to your engine computer first to calculate your speed and then the computer sends a signal to your speedometer. If your Aladdin is showing the right speed (assuming that it will show vehicle speed) and your speedometer does not, the problem is probably in your speedometer since the Aladdin is reading the speed directly from the engine computer.

Or it may be that it is too HOT in Needles now for anything to work right.

Best wishes from the 60 degree Oregon Coast
Gerald

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »
I have had the speedometer freeze or malfunction several times.  I have found that when I park and turn off the ignition, all resets and works thereafter, until the next time, which may be a year later.  Like most electronic things.  Reset works wonders.

Larry

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:46:46 AM »
You may be right Gerald. The Alladin did have the correct speed all day. Awoke in Needles at 8 am and it was already 102 degrees. Yikes. If it was 60 I'd be looking for a sweatshirt.

ken
BAC members since 2006